This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you pick names for your characters?
03-24-2014, 04:48 PM
How do you pick names for your characters?
Just a discussion on how you pick name's for your characters
There is no right or wrong way, everyone has different ways I just want to know how you do?
Like I will find a name I like, Found out how popular in the years around when my character's -Should be year of birth- and how popular it is now. Then I find a slight unique surname, Its a easier way but Sometime I also look on social Media if their is anyone with that name. (Like the name of my character, no one has so I think thats a plus.)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM

I just went onto Google, searched for names popular in the country where she lives (Wales), used a rather common Welsh surname and went from there. I already know there are several people with the same name, but it isn't a problem.

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:59 PM

First I consider the context of the story; the setting, the time period, etc. I also consider the personality of my character's parents, which is surprisingly important. For example, a traditional, old-fashioned, conservative couple aren't going to call their daughter Obsidian, even if that name does fit an angsty fourteen-year-old emo character. They'd probably call her Susan or something. Though I do believe that names need to fit the characters to some extent, so I would try to find a name that fits the character and would realistically be something that their parents had chosen.
03-24-2014, 05:01 PM

What I do is I have a website that I go on that has all these names for people. Their name, meaning and where they come from. It is really nice, easy, and gives you cool and boring names!
03-24-2014, 05:07 PM

I try to find names that would match the character's family history and location, and then maybe their personality. Usually it involves having a vague idea like "she would have a very common name" or "he would have a Chinese name to honour his father's ancestry". Sometimes characters sit nameless for ages while I write. I use a placeholder word, like "Wombat" or some other random word I wouldn't necessarily use in that story. Sometimes it's an actual name that I like the feeling of, but isn't quite right. In my latest story, the character was called Poppy until I found a name that suited her exuberant personality. I'm also quite fond of opening up Google Maps, going to the city the character was allegedly born in, and checking out street names.
03-24-2014, 05:09 PM

First, their name speaks a bit about their background - what culture they follow, what their parents believe in, etc. You also need to consider the time period. If its modern, you can go with a more recent name, but if its from the Victorian era, the manes will be more... exquisite? I think that;s the word I'm looking for. Also, the name has to be unique as well as quick and easy to remember - something that sticks. But remember: names don't make characters, characters make names. Be it an Indian name or a Russian name, from the future or the past, the name is built and recognized based on who who the character is, not the other way around.
03-24-2014, 05:13 PM

i look at names on a website and pick a name that sounds best with my characters depending on the characters personality and the way it sounds
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM

Usually my characters are based on people I know and I'll either give my characters the same name as that person or else a name very similar to them. For example, I wrote a story once that was a modern day version of Cain and Abel, and the brothers' names in my story were Cole and Aiden. I also have a character in my current story based off of my friend, Sage Lerwill, and the characters name is Paige Lerman.
I also like to use these two websites: http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names
03-24-2014, 05:28 PM

Back in the day, when we had telephone directories in the US, I would just close my eyes and jab a finger into the book as I flipped the pages to get a surname, and I would get given names as you do, but before the internet I had to rely on memory rather than published frequency lists for various years.

Nowadays, since I have done genealogical research, I often choose surnames from passenger manifests. For example, if I want an English-sounding name, I use ships bound for Plymouth colony. As things go in the US, these are often posh-sounding in the US. Northern Ireland censuses are rich in Scots and Irish names and so forth.

The worst way: ask on YA for suggestions. Generally this for people who will be planning on writing something someday for the rest of their lives. Use a dummy name to get started. Use search-and-replace to change the dummy name when you come up with something better.

There are a few guidelines I would suggest:

Names of major characters should not be near names of other characters. You should not have Tim and Tom or Rob and Bob in the same book. Avoid giving major characters names that begin with the same initial; avoid rhyming. You want to make it easy for readers to distinguish the characters.

Generally stick to referring to characters by one version of their names: not Robert here, Bob there, Bobby in the third place. One of the (many) things that make Russian novels insufferable is that everyone has three names, and each of those names has a familiar form or two, and it is almost a rule that characters never be called by the same name twice. Naturally mothers and bosses may use a different form, but most of the time use one name for the character.

I used to worry about inadvertently libeling someone when I named a character. Now that I have tried looking up friends with a search engine or on social media sites I realize that even odd-sounding names are likely to be borne by many people. Still it is worthwhile checking with a search engine to see whether you have accidentally come up with a name that is famous in reality or literature. The threat of accidental libel still exists if you try to create a unique name. Mr. Featherstone-Wobblygate may think you have named your character for him.
03-24-2014, 05:32 PM

I look at my collection of books, CDs, and DVDs and select a first name from an author, artist, cast member, or crew member before selecting a surname from a different one. Sometimes I select just a surname, though, before putting a name from a baby name website to it.