This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I 'have to be' on FaceBook?
03-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Do I 'have to be' on FaceBook?
I don't want to be, shouldn't it be 'my' choice?
I keep hitting walls and legitimate websites that now say....'I have to have a Facebook account to access the site'. Is this not a....'restraint to trade'......If it doesn't say that it says....I have to... 'confirm'... my Facebook account'.....(by giving personal info/ passwords etc.).
WHO OWNS FACEBOOK?......Are we being taken over by them?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM

the only time you would have to have a facebook account is if the website uses the facebook plug-in for things like leaving comments - lots of websites do this because it's so simple to set up

but as long as you dont want to leave comments on those sites, there should be no need for you have a facebook account

Ads

03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

You can always create a dummy Facebook account, with your info, then lock down the privacy settings.
Then only use it for sites that force you to use it.

And no, it's just so simple for web developers (such as myself) to use Facebook for authentication instead of writing custom login systems.
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM

No site says you "have to have" a FB account. If you want to post comments on a third-party site, just create a new account. FB offers convenience, but stop with the paranoia, nobody requires an account.