This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do Libertarians idolize the good ol' days of 12-hour-work days & no labour regulations?
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Do Libertarians idolize the good ol' days of 12-hour-work days & no labour regulations?
Libertarians claim the US was great prior to the introduction of social programs. How great it must have been for slavery to exist, for people to work 12 hour days & for there for to no safety regulations. The desperate would be exploited but because of their economic necessity would continue to work in unfavorable conditions. This was the reality prior to the introduction of all those horrible social programs. Do Libertarians idolize those days?
mrs manners: Employers are obligated to pay time and a half after working 40 hours week (it might vary in different states ). Thus it prevents over-exploitation as businesses would be inclined to pay more on overtime. Libertarians claim that there should be no regulations & businesses should be free to do what they want
mrs manners: If you're making a salary, chances are you have perks & benefits that others would not have. Plus you likely make a living wage. I'm talking low-skilled labour or semi-skilled labour that is paid hourly. Often they would be exploited if there were no regulations, and likely they would work more than eight hours a day.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

They are crazy and idolize all sorts of stupid things.

Ads

03-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Libertarians aren't people who work in dangerous industries which have benefited from regulation. Somehow I doubt you'd find a Libertarian in a coal mine.

Mostly it's just people with their heads up their butts.
03-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Yes they do.

"Should any political party attempt to abolish Social Security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things, but their number is negligible and they are stupid." ~ Dwight Eisenhower

GRAPH: As Union Membership Has Declined, Income Inequality Has Skyrocketed In The United States
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/0...?mobile=nc
03-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Government regulation is just a form of control. The private sector aka average citizens would be better for the country to regulate businesses because government is only good at killing and being assholes.
03-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Many people still work 12 hour days. Even union people. I used to have a friend (who was a member of the Teamsters union) who frequently worked 12 hour days, seven days a week.

In any case the 40 hour work week had nothing to do with "social programs". It was started by Henry Ford.
I have also known salaried people who worked 12 hour days, legally, for the same amount of money. When I worked in retail they used to call them "iron days". Many people are not paid hourly.
Oh...now it's not about 8 hour days, it's about benefits and a "living wage"?

You have no idea what benefits they receive, or what they are making.

You need to give more thought to your "questions" before you post them.
03-24-2014, 05:32 PM

No, and we don't think that people are as stupid as you seem to think they are.
03-24-2014, 05:34 PM

They literally believe that there would be no unfair business practices, child labor, or firms selling bad products since the market would punish them.
03-24-2014, 05:42 PM

The *old days*!? That sounds like now. Things haven't really changed that much.

But to answer your question, no, they don't long for the old days because they are mostly ignorant of the history regarding the horror show that was unregulated capitalism.
03-24-2014, 05:49 PM

You, Joe Doe, Sum, Pat, space, and "I hate onions" are retarded. I am a libertarian, and I support the idea of employers being held responsible for injuries employees sustain in the course of their work. As for 12-hour work days, that is and should be up to the employee. ms manners is right. Even many union people like 12-hour work days because it means more money. I've worked 12-hour work days in two past jobs.

As for time-and-a-half after 40 hours in a week: This simply results in many employers cutting employees' hours, even if those employees really want and need to work for that extra money. People end up getting two or three part-time jobs instead of sticking with one full-time job.