This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do successful freelance writers brainstorm?
03-27-2014, 11:37 AM
How do successful freelance writers brainstorm?
Lately, I've been having trouble coming up with story ideas and want to know how my fellow freelance writers come up with theirs.

I live in a relatively large city and was writing for an entertainment magazine. The other writers use the same web site I use which lists upcoming events, so I find it difficult to come up with ideas because they're often taken.

The editor for the magazine I've written for the most said as far as new ideas, "If it's an event, that's fine, but really I'm looking for trend, issue-based or news story topics that might add some heft to our entertainment coverage."

Thank you all for any pointers in advance!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2014, 11:45 AM

ROFL

Ads

03-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Keep your senses open. Listen and see what's going on around you.
03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

There are a lot of great ways to brainstorm ideas. Just because someone has your story idea does not mean that they are using your angle either.

If you are looking for trends, especially in entertainment, consider tracking trends on Twitter or checking local FaceBook group posts. What better way to see what everyone is talking about or doing than looking directly at what they have to say. Even what they have to say could inspire a completely unrelated, but valid story idea.

If you are looking for issue-based topics, look into local independent music and theater productions. Many of these support causes or have beliefs that stem directly from the local community.

There are plenty of ideas to be found around you. Sometimes you just have to look at them from a different angle!