This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Facebook there for people to just brag about their lives?
03-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Is Facebook there for people to just brag about their lives?
I decided to rejoin Facebook a few weeks ago so that I could stay in contact with a friend who just moved to Australia.

Every time I go on there someone is bragging about something, whether it be what they bought today or what amazing thing they did... I just don't get it.

Also, it seems that whenever someone decides to post something on Facebook they turn into the most uneducated self-centered asshole ever.

Here's something I just read a few minutes ago - "LAWL bein a Nerd but loving it Smile) XOXO" [sic]

I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2014, 07:17 PM

It's a social network. Part of being social is bragging about stuff.

Ads

03-28-2014, 07:31 PM

"I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will."

Then why are you there. Seriously, if you're sincere in what you said, you don't need social media to keep in touch with one or a few people. That's what texting and emails are for. I suspect you went back 'cause there's a part of you that likes the drama.

FK FACEBOOK!

I have an account only to sign into some websites for convenience. My page has no pictures, no friends, it's just an unused account without my real name or information.
03-28-2014, 07:41 PM

Yes. It's what humans do. Pride is a human condition. It motivates us to do better so we can have or do the things we want. It goes hand in hand with envy.
03-28-2014, 07:53 PM

I have never had nor do I plan to have a facebook account. From what I gather, these "social media" websites are just an information gathering tool so that folks like Zuckerberg can get richer faster from your data which they claim is their data. As far as spying, we don't even need the NSA as a lot of the people who use these sites contribute far more information about themselves than the NSA could generate.

As far as the "social" component, you know for yourself that, if you were in a group of people and someone was a braggart, they would shortly become an outcast. The anonymity and remoteness of computers seem to give people license to polish their personae to the point that you wonder if they are the same person you actually know. They may really be really miserable SOBs but you could never tell by looking at their photos of them sitting on the beach in the south of France sipping cocktails. Maybe what they really want it to be as happy as their publicly proffered image.
03-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Yes, you are right, some people just like to show off on facebook.
03-28-2014, 08:04 PM

I would hide those posts/people they'll never know but my take on facebook is that if all someone can do is boast/overshare etc all the time they must be really insecure in themselves and if whatever was so amazing they wouldn't be updating constantly they would be enjoying it too to care. Quality over quantity every time.
03-28-2014, 08:11 PM

It seems to be that way. A lot of people use it as a microphone to tell people in their "friends list" what they feel is important. Mind you, people only display their highlight reels and only the good stuff in their life.

I use FB to see what's going on with my family since I live 2000 miles away from them…but I don't post random stuff like what I ate for dinner or "check in" every time I go to the gym. No one cares about that stuff and I won't act like people are concerned with those things. I also only have 2 pictures in my profile, because people don't really care about the pictures you post.

Only insecure people who need validation from others to feel important, will post a lot of things or constantly update their profile pictures. Those people are not even worth connecting with on FB. Just keep it to close friends and family, and share what's REALLY important.

Also keep in mind that the people that need to know your personal information…like your phone number or where you went to high school…already know it. No need to fill out a complete profile on FB because that just opens the door to let strangers have your personal information.