This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mane tamer relaxer gone wrong, what should I do?
03-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Mane tamer relaxer gone wrong, what should I do?
A few days ago I went to a salon to get my roots touched up. I heard about "mane tamer" and how gentle it's supposed to be on the scalp and hair. I saw great reviews so I figured I'd try it myself. I was informed by the hair dresser that it would be ok to use on my roots, but it could not be placed on top of the relaxer in the rest of my hair.

Everything went great but then the next day my hair started falling out rapidly. I waited a couple days to see if it would stop but it seems to have worsened and is falling out in smaller clumps. I washed it thinking maybe there was left over product or something in my hair. No luck what so ever and I am now forming a bald spot near the crown of my head.

I am completely at a loss and I have absolutely no idea what I should do. I have contacted the salon and told them what's happening, and they are going to be contacting the company who makes that particular product. Any suggestions on what I could do to keep it from falling out any further?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2014, 07:39 PM

I've heard this same story MANY TIMES BEFORE, that's why I also DO NOT RECOMMEND RELAXERS. NOPE, the damage is done!

Take the salon & hairdresser to court! This salon LIED TO YOU, BIG TIME!
By contrast, beauty salon owners and stylists generally lack a scientific background and don't have a keen awareness of the danger of working with products that contain formaldehyde, experts say.

Google: keratin treatment warnings. About 2,620,000 results (0.36 seconds) 6-24-12.
Google: Lawsuits Brazilian Blowouts. About 1,010,000 results (0.24 seconds) 

In Sept. the federal government put out a hazard alert about the hair-smoothing treatment, Brazilian Blowout etc. warning that it contains liquid formaldehyde that can turn into formaldehyde gas when heated during a treatment. Now, the company's bottles of solution carry a warning label to alert stylists to the potential formaldehyde risk and the need to perform the treatment in a well-ventilated area. The manufacturer said Monday (3-6-12) that it had agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit for about $4.5 million.

The FDA has previously received complaints that the products cause adverse reactions, including nervous system problems such as headaches, respiratory tract problems, nausea, chest pain, vomiting and rashes.
12-12-12
http://www.ewg.org/hair-straighteners/ou...rt/faqs-7/

Hair-straightening products are allowed to contain small concentrations of formaldehyde (0.2 percent). But several hair-straightening solutions have been found to contain well above the allowable limit. For example, one popular hair-straightening product that advertised itself as “formaldehyde-free” actually contained 6.8 percent to 11.8 percent formaldehyde.
Another example: Fourteen women, including two from North Texas and one from Houston, are suing Unilever, the maker of a product they claim caused permanent damage to their hair.
"It transforms frizzy, unmanageable hair into hair that's sleeker and easier to style," said the commercial for the Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion 30-Day Smoothing Kit, which is no longer being sold
When she began looking online for more information about the product, she said she found some people who said it worked, but more who said it damaged their hair.
She discovered a Facebook page devoted to angry consumers, and there are multiple postings on YouTube. I've been warning people about relaxers since 2009 and people are giving me thumbs down!
BTW: A variety of hair-straightening products used in professional salons can expose both hairdressers and their customers to formaldehyde. The results show that three professional hair-smoothing treatments labeled "formaldehyde free" can produce the cancer-causing chemical at concentrations above the occupational exposure limits set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They tested four products: Coppola Keratin Complex Blonde Formula, Global Keratin Juvexin Optimized Functional Keratin, La Brasiliana Escluso Keratin Treatment with Collagen, and Brazilian Blowout Acai Professional Smoothing Solution. While ChemRisk tested four popular brands of hair straighteners, THERE ARE HUNDREDS on the market. Nov. 11-11

Hair straighteners are known as hair relaxers, keratin treatments and hair-smoothing products. Relaxers made his/her hair FALL OUT!

1. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?…

2. She's 15. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?…

Google: Jennifer Aniston's Hair Disaster Nov. 6-13.
The reason Jen went for the ol' snip-a-roo wasn't to be on trend. It's because her hair is fried and falling out after getting a Brazilian Blowout. You know those amazing salon hair treatments that can make the thickest, frizziest hair Pantene commercial-esque? She didn't come to me for advice, I could have said NO don't!
It's been all over the news, but why wasn't her hairstylist informed, they're partners in the new hair product, on which she is a spokesperson!

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply