This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
There have been lots of articles in the news lately about FaceBook?
03-29-2014, 03:14 PM
There have been lots of articles in the news lately about FaceBook?
Around its privacy regulations and the effects of using it on its users. Do you believe FaceBook a.k.a. "CrackBook" is addictive or habit-forming?
BQ: Do you beleive as has been reported on the news today that the game apps are addictive?
Thanks for all good answers. Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Facebook is very addictive. It's so easy to keep in touch with your friends & family. You can express yourself through your pictures and status updates. It's bringing people together way better than anything on the internet.

On that note, your privacy and security is a big concern. People are posting their whole life on there. All you need to do to find out anything about a person is to befriend them. Not to scare you, but with your pictures & status updates alone, I can figure out where you live, when your home, and who lives with you. I can figure out where you go, and when. Now I can rob your house easily.

See, now that is scary. Just be careful of who you accept as friends. Also change your privacy settings to friends only.

Now with those stupid games on Facebook. Some people just play them to occupy their time while waiting for a response. Most play them cus, well, they are just there conveniently.
REMEMBER, all those games, apps, groups, etc, ask for your permission to access your information. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

What I did, was got rid of all my apps, games, and all that unnecessary crap on Facebook. I mean, really? Do you need all that? I also took my address, cell # and other very personal info off too. Your real friends should know that stuff anyway. Don't accept any apps, or game requests from friends, no matter how enticing they may seem. I consider them to be viruses infecting Facebook, spreading like an airborne disease.

Ads

03-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Cool B has an excellent answer. All these extra activities are where a lot of the concerns are coming from because very few of them are actually FB's own applications. And they seek to use all your info. If you want to spend time on the computer playing games then don't use the applications on FB. Face book is wonderful for keeping in touch with everyone and seeing their news & photos at a glance. Use it wisely and you will love it.
03-29-2014, 03:43 PM

No I have an account and go there about once every month just to check in but never really got hooked. The games people played never appealed to me. So I never found it addictive
BQ: Face book and Yahoo is better than meth or pot I would not worry (I missed you a lot!)
03-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Facebook is not addictive to me, but I don't have an addictive personality. I am on there and the only thing that is interesting is personal input and updates. I don't do the apps or games, it seems like something the kiddies would be interested in and do, not adults. People who do those games really need to get a life.
03-29-2014, 03:56 PM

I think many people get hooked on many different things. Facebook is just one more thing people could become addicted to.
BQ: not sure what game apps means exactly, but I know Y!A is addicting for me. Of course years ago I was a fantasy sports addict but I got so sick of it, I just quit and haven't played them since.
03-29-2014, 04:06 PM

I don't know about that, I don't have Facebook. But for entirely different reasons.

What I've read, and heard (news,web, etc.) is that there have been many security breeches on Facebook users. And I don't like that they claim ownership rights to ANY and ALL content you post. Even photos. I don't want to be a part of that. Even though recently I've removed all images of my likeness from all of the pages I have.

I feel bad, because I have friends there on Facebook who would like me to join them. But for these reasons I must decline at this time.

I suppose any type of game or network site could become addictive. Even Y!Answers. Smile
03-29-2014, 04:14 PM

I think you have to take it for what it is. Any of these sites can become addictive, including this one. I've had security concerns with Facebook since they came out with their new privacy policy. Over the last few days I've been cleaning house and no longer allow any applications on Facebook. I plan to keep a couple of games going but everything else is gone. I think the games serve a good purpose for people that are housebound due to health and injury related issues. I think they're also good for people in isolated places that have no other source of entertainment. I've enjoyed playing some of those games while I'm home recovering from my injury.
03-29-2014, 04:30 PM

My answer to your question should not be generalized because you may have people from all walks of life using it.
03-29-2014, 04:46 PM

Farkled again!