This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good dog breed for college student?
03-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Good dog breed for college student?
I currently go to school in the small town of Unity, Maine. I will be soon looking for a good adoptable dog around the area.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what breed of dogs I should look into. My campus offers a large amount of hiking trails as well as a small but open campus with a huge animal friendly student and faculty population.

I want a small to medium dog, but I am not opposed to the larger breeds. Mainly I just want a dog that gets along well with a lot of new people and doesn't mind hanging out and being walked by my friends. I'd like a loyal dog, one that comes when I call and with the proper training, can be walked without a leash on campus.

I need a breed that is known to do well in cars, as Unity is 6 hours away from my actual home. Also a breed that does decent in the cold is a must. I was looking at Malamutes and Akitas but the grooming is just too much for me too keep up with on a daily basis.
A few other of my choices have been beagles, Catahoula Leopard Dogs and possibly huskies.
Energy levels aren't really a problem as I am out on trails almost every day. Also, I'd be bringing my dog to campus which is about a 30 minute walk one way. Along with the walks, hikes, fields and swimming options, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I will be with the dog for about 12 of the 24 hours in a weekday and when I have classes (which are about 50 min each) or work my roommates and campus friends are all willing to take care of them

I will be leaving school without debt and working a summer job at home and a school season job in my college town so I will have enough resources to take care of my pup. After all, I am taking animal behavior, training and other captive animal and wildlife classes.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2014, 06:57 AM

You are adopting so forget about breed. Dogs in shelters aren't typically pure bred and even if they are they weren't bred any type of standard. When you're ready, just check petfinder. No doubt you'll find a dog that will work for you.

I just have to say this... Ignore it if you want. If you were my child I'd advise you to work 2-3 jobs while in school so you can graduate without debt and start saving for a house. I don't know of any college kids that have time or money for a dog. Forget about huskies. They're overactive working machines and don't like being left alone all day

Ads

03-30-2014, 07:00 AM

A small dog like a Dachshund, Peke, Basset Hound or West Highland Terrier is best, because it doesn't eat much, and doesn't need as much exercise as a big dog like a Husky or Labrador. Get a young dog (aged approx 1 to 4 years) because it will be less hyper and destructive than a puppy
03-30-2014, 07:14 AM

Well my dog has been FANTASTIC for collage. My roommates adore him even my landlord loves him. And he's a lazy goof who is happy to sleep all day but equally as happy to go on a 15km hike with me. However he's just over a year. And 75 pounds.

My dog is just a rescued mutt. I suggest going to a shelter and asking if they have one that suit your lifestyle. I suggest getting one around 2 yrs old. You can't get a puppy cause they are just to much to handle for a college student (trust me some of my friends have tried) I got my dog on my year off school so he was trained and older when I went back to school but an older dog can be just as loyal and bonded to you! My first dog my dad adopted for me and he was 4 when we got him and I was 10...him and I were stuck together like glue. that dog ADORED me and my family. And it was like we owned him his whole life.

However if you are looking into a purebred I think a Large Munsterlander sounds like what you're looking for. Research them and see what you think. There are breed specific rescues where you'll find purebreds or close to

Make sure you can afford the dog...I had to give up A LOT I don't go out to bars or parties I miss most social events...pretty much all the fun stuff cause I need to take care of my dog, and I can't buy drinks or go out for dinners cause then I wouldn't be able to feed my dog or pay for vet bills. you miss so much with your friends but in my opinion is worth it!

Ps. my dog has nearly perfect health but to keep it that way I spend WAY more on him the I do me. I fee Raw food diet, he get multi vitamins and supplements and other essentials and it's about 700$ a month.... can you afford that, even without feeding raw a decent kibble is expensive.

Add: your collage sounds AMAZING none where I am will allow dogs on campus
03-30-2014, 07:18 AM

No rescue or shelter will adopt to you while you are still in college.
03-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Wow where are you going to college FANTASYLAND???

1) shelters don't adopt out to teenagers
2) shelters don't adopt out to full-time college students because they don't have enough time for a dog
3) college dorms most often don't allow dogs
4) college campuses most often don't allow dogs

Best dog for you? A stuffed one.
03-30-2014, 07:25 AM

A shelter is mutt central. Shelters aren't the best when you're looking for a purebred dog. Even if you find a purebred of the breed you're looking for, the dog may not be the right fit for you and you won't come across another purebred of your breed for a few years. It doesn't hurt to check, but don't count on it! Not trying to be offensive.

Hiking trails are okay, but you need to have a fenced in yard. Dogs are athletic animals that demand TIRING exercise to stay fit physically and mentally.

A dog that gets along with people isn't breed specific. What determines that is the amount of socialization the dog got as a puppy, if the dog is occasionally socialized when it's an adult, temperament (mental steadiness), and how much exercise the dog gets. Some dogs can even be aggressive if they do not get the exercise they need to train their pent up energy. Seems like a lot of factors but it's pretty simple. If the dog was socialized as a puppy and a young adult, has a steady mind, and gets the exercise it needs in general would be a nice dog.

All dogs are loyal. One that OBEYS you depends on positive training and consistency. If you allow the dog to run everyday and wear itself out, training will be easier and the dog will be more likely to want to come to you. If you're using a WALK as primary exercise (which won't wear a dog out compared to free running), then being walked nicely off leash will be a challenge.

No breed is supposed to be good in a car. Of course a Pomeranian will do much better than a sheepdog or other working breeds. A lot of shelter dogs usually have a thin single layered coat. Most of the time double layered coats aren't found in many "All American" mutts. My guess is a long haired dog will be easier to find than a mutt with a coat like a Husky, Mal, or Akita. Long hairs don't have as much shedding. Despite the coat those breeds are NOT meant for busy-frugal-time limited college students.

Beagles and Catahoula Leopard Dogs do NOT have a coat NEAR a Husky, Malamute, Akita. Nothing NEAR it. These dogs only have enough fur to cover their bodies. Not extra fur like a Husky. Beagles are meant to be country dogs. Catahoula Leopard Dogs are VERY RARE in shelters and have TONS of energy. My friend had 2 Leopard Dogs, and 1 has scaled a 6 ft fence easily multiple times. VERY athletic and high energy. These were even poorly bred dogs too, my friend and her family insisted they were "purebred Australian Shepherds" because some backyard breeder sold them fake kennel club papers.

Beagles are small dogs, Akitas, Huskies, Malamutes, Leopard Dogs are all LARGE.

Go to a shelter and check out each dog face to face.