This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should go for a career in journalism or social media?
03-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Should go for a career in journalism or social media?
I was offered two jobs in very different field. I have experience as a journalist and as a social media manager so I applied for two very different jobs. Here are my options:
1- Lifestyle editor for The Huffington Post: I'd take care of the lifestyle section, blog about health, fitness, wellness and celebrity gossip. The job pays 50-60k.
2- Senior social media manager for one of the biggest retailer in the country. It sounds like a fun position and pays 65k-75k.
I'm kind of torn because both opportunities seems interesting. My boyfriend told me to go with the social media job because it pays better, it's more prestigious and challenging than the HuffPo which he dislikes because they make their money off free blogging.

Which job do you think would be more beneficial in the long run?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Well, the senior social media manager sounds like a better deal. Go for that.

Ads

03-30-2014, 09:01 AM

Well, I'm going to be biased coming from an SEO and social media background but what I suggest is that with the social media job, fresh content is always key to remaining relevant in the eyes of those you're appealing to just as writing about the latest discussions or topics is important in a journalism field. I guess what I mean is that the skills aren't mutually exclusive, and with whatever skills you would put to work in the HuffPost role, you could very well do the same in the social media role but not be boxed in, and instead work with video and other forms of content well. Plus, the pay is better which in this economy is a great option to have. Of course, it depends on you as you'll be the one getting up to go to work there every day. Sometimes it can be a gut instinct.