This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nursing or Social work? I'm at University?
03-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Nursing or Social work? I'm at University?
I am currently studying a Bachelor of Nursing although growing up my dream job was being a Social Worker. I think I want to change degrees but my parents don't think it's a good idea, any advice on what I should do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2014, 12:22 PM

There's alot of people I know going into social work, and its not a needed field right now, not so easy to get hired in that field unless your willing to wait a while for the right open position. Nursing is more in demand and right now is a logical field. I know how it is to be indecisive so I feel your pain, Im unemployed now and Im thinking about going to school, but don't want to make the wrong decision, cause Ive done it before, so I understand how hard it is to figure out what do for the rest of your life.

Ads

03-30-2014, 12:32 PM

I would not change degrees for three reasons. One reason is pay. As a nurse your starting pay after graduation and throughout your career will be much higher than a social worker. Second reason is the job market is flooded with social work graduates and many social work jobs are tied into government funding. Third reason, due to funding issues this means many departments are stretched and many social workers have large cases loads which leads to allot of occupation stress. When you compare lower wage, with inherent job stress, and high competition for each job I believe your parents are right that changing majors to social work does not make sense. My feeling as a nurse you will be doing many similar things as you would as a social worker and because of your interest in helping others I believe you will make you a spectacular nurse.