This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Android applications data usage (android experts preferred)?
03-31-2014, 06:01 AM
Android applications data usage (android experts preferred)?
Does anyone know about android application data usage? I am new to android and have gotten very concern about its applications using up data that I'm not aware of.

(1)-Do applications downloaded from android market use up data after they have been downloaded, such as live wallpaper?

(2) In the "manage applications" section, do the "running" are applications using data? Under the application, there is a number such as 36.00KB. Is that just how big it is or is is using that much data because it is running?

(3) Do widgets, like Daily Briefing, use up data while on they are on the home page since it tells you things like the weather?

(4) Is there a way to stop applications from running automatically? Everytime I force close an application, it comes back up there.

I know this is a lot, but I would really appreciate any information that can help me. Also, if there is any tips and tricks to keep data and personal info private, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2014, 06:06 AM

Apps only use data in the background if they're pulling information from the web for updates. That usually includes widgets (that's the point of them) and apps like Twitter, Facebook, Email, weather, etc. If you're getting info from somewhere, where do you think it's coming from? It needs to use data to get it.

If there's an app that uses data in the background, you can probably go into the apps settings and change the update interval or even make it manual.

Manage applications doesn't show how much data an app is using. You would need to download a third party app from the Market to see that. Manage apps just shows the file size.

Android manages apps automatically. You should not be force closing anything unless it has issues. It's normal for apps to run on their own, that doesn't mean they're using data. That just means they're open and ready to use. Again, if they have info in the app that's on an update schedule, then that uses data in the background. Otherwise, it will not use data. For example, most games stay open in the background, but don't use data. Live Wallpapers don't usually use data unless they're designed to pull info from the web (like a weather LWP or something). If it's just a pretty animation, then you're fine.

Best way to keep track of your data is to check your wireless provider's website under your account. Then you can see if you actually use a lot of data. Some phones even come with their own app that takes you to this info (like Verizon). In the US, the limit ranges from 2GB to unlimited. Very few people go over 2GB per month unless they abuse data. Sounds to me you don't use our phone enough to go over your data limit.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply