This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Invest on my own or stock broker?
04-01-2014, 04:22 AM
Invest on my own or stock broker?
I am 29, I have invested in stocks on my own (Facebook being one of them) and lost on every single move i've made. I do not have time to do the proper research nor do I have the expertise to evaluate based on income statements etc... It would obviously seem like a broker would be the right choice but I feel that I would be paying the broker more than I would be gaining. I would like to invest my $2,000 Christmas bonus but am not sure what the best route for me is. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 04:27 AM

Invest in mutual or exchange traded funds through an online investment company, like Fidelity or Vanguard. Plan on investing for the long haul, and don't trade out when your fund takes a little dip. Buy into an index fund, not an actively managed fund, with low expenses and no 12 b-1 fees, or front or back end fees. Vanguard has historically had low cost indexed mutual funds, that rival the low cost of other family of funds exchanged traded funds. You can easily find their web sites and see the many different funds available. Just remember that you are in this for the long haul. The market is in near record territory, so it might seem a little risky to invest at this time, but the real risk is not starting.

Ads

04-01-2014, 04:42 AM

Buckle down limit your contact with people and do the research. If a stock goes down and you've done the research management is strong and you believe in the companies core business invest more. Sometimes people forget how much time and effort goes into research. You can just throw your money around hoping to get luck or be attentive and get your news quick. I'm 24 I started with 8000 and now I'm at 22000. Investing and trading is my life now
04-01-2014, 04:51 AM

Keep going on your own. Most investment brokers are primarily salesmen. They will say this that and the other thing to get you to buy the investment that pays them the best commission. Then they will never look at your account again unless they are thinking about selling you something else. You may make mistakes on your own but that's OK: mistakes are the best teacher. You will continue to learn and do better over time. Relying on "expert" brokers to avoid that learning curve is very likely to lead to you getting played.

Until you choose something leave the money in a savings account. Interest rates are low right now. But the worst thing to do when choosing an investment is to rush your decision. If it takes you six months to pick something out so be it.
04-01-2014, 04:54 AM

Whether you pay a broker/manager to do it or you do it yourself, either way you are "in" the market. If you want to be "in" the market, buy the Spyders, ticker symbol SPY. Trades like a stock, well diversified, and you can hold it 'til the cows come home or day trade it; you choose. You can also limit risk through position size and using stops; or just get out when risk is high, like now, and you've got good profits. Options are also available. Conversely, you have zero control over a mutual fund.

Stocks Basics: Introduction
http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/

Five Minute Investing: How To Evaluate A Trading Strategy
http://www.investopedia.com/university/f...inute6.asp

The Cardinal Sin Of Beginning Investing -- And How To Avoid It
http://www.investopedia.com/stock-analys...oidit.aspx