This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it safe for a 13 (almost 14) year old (me) to have his last name on the internet?
04-02-2014, 04:06 AM
Is it safe for a 13 (almost 14) year old (me) to have his last name on the internet?
I have a youtube channel, and it has a link to my Twitter.
The thing is, my Twitter username includes my last name. Is it safe that a bunch of people from Youtube can go and see my videos and then click on my Twitter link and see my last name?

I mean, a bunch of my friends have their last names on their Twitter, but they don't have 100 extra followers from Youtube. Should I take my last name off?

Thx!
~Joe

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 04:18 AM

yes. take it off

Ads

04-02-2014, 04:34 AM

The less personal information you put on the net the better!
04-02-2014, 04:50 AM

Yes of course no matter how old you are.Too much info for the internet
04-02-2014, 04:57 AM

I don't see the what the problem is for using your last name on the internet, I use mine but I am also very cautious as to what I put on my public profile and what I tell the friends I haven't met about me.

In my opinion, your fine.
04-02-2014, 05:13 AM

Joe, if it was YOU that came up with that question, and are not asking because your parents are having a fit, I would almost tend to say you are a smart enough individual to not worry about it... Almost!

Be safe, take it off for a couple years. There are too many nasty people out there who can come up with scams that even "normally" intelligent and suspicious adults fall for. Don't give the scammers (and possible predators) any more ammo than they already have. Smile

Good luck with your you tube following!
04-02-2014, 05:17 AM

when you are 18 will you want people to see what you did when you were 14
all people have to do is google your name and it will all show up
04-02-2014, 05:32 AM

Your parents may have mentioned to you that there are some bad people in the world. If one of them decides to target you, the harder you are for him to find, the better. Having an online presence is fantastic, but it's wise to keep it separate from your real life, especially at your age.
04-02-2014, 05:49 AM

Yes, it is a bad idea to have your last name readily available to youtube viewers. Everyone views youtube, even perverts, (whoa), so I would try to take your last name off. However, there is a second option. You could also just take the link off of your youtupe page that sends them to twitter. If you're only showing the last name to people that you actually know, then it's no big deal.

Hope this helps! =D
04-02-2014, 06:04 AM

It's safer than everyone says it is - not everyone who posts their last name on the internet will be hacked, molested, and robbed of their identity - but it's still not a good idea.

I don't think I'd want people seeing what I was doing 6 years ago... I put my comics online, and if people saw them now, it'd be pretty embarrassing. Not everything on the internet "lasts forever" (unless you're using gmail or google; bad idea) but it will be there for a while.