This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm nervous around my snake...?
04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm nervous around my snake...?
I bought a 12(ish) week old corn snake on Saturday. I found out today (Monday) that they haven't fed it properly or given it sufficient water. During its time with them they didn't handle it either. It's very fast and skittish and I keep getting spooked when I got to get it. How can I stop this?? I know 'keep handling him and your confidence will grow' but I've had him striking at me and it's just spooked me Sad any help???

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Kim first off you should give your snake time to get use to the new enclosure. This takes a week. After that has been done feed your snake and allow two days to let the food digest properly. After that you can start handling your snake. This should happen at least 2-3 times a week. The more you handle it the more the snake will start to calm down and trust you. Allowing the week to its self as well will help this out too. You need to be confident when you are going to pick it up. The snake may pick up on that you are nervous which will make the snake be nervous as well. You should check out my facebook page at Corn Snake Facts and Questions. On this page you can learn a lot of info on corn snakes. You can also post pics of your snake and questions you may have. I have yrs of experience with corn, milk, and king snakes. Hope to see you on here!

Ads

04-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Most beginners handle their snakes incorrectly. Nervous about being bitten, they reach in slowly and cautiously, thinking they will put the snake at ease with their presence. The fact is, reaching in slowly only encourages the snake to bite. Instead, you should simply reach in and grab the snake, quickly and decisively, before it has a chance to react.
While you are holding the snake, hold it firmly enough so as not to drop it, but not so firmly that it struggles. While you are getting accustomed to handling the snake, it will be accustomed to being handled.
If it bites you- so what. The bite of a baby corn snake hurts about as much as touching a piece of velcro.
All snake keepers are bitten at some point, so you may as well accept it.
04-03-2014, 10:58 AM

What Dion said. I can't tell you how many times I've been bit by my pets. I just laugh it off for the most part. If it's not venomous and it doesn't leave you with stitches, eh, you'll heal.