This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to stop being obsessed with being popular ?
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
How to stop being obsessed with being popular ?
I've always been the jealous type, not gonna lie, but I never show it. I'm 16 and just transferred to a new school a month ago, I already knew lots of people, including my bff. My bff is so popularity obsessed, I feel like its rubbing onto me. I feel like I'm always compairing myself to others on facebook or twitter or even real life. I'll say things to myself while on other peoples twitter pages like "Oh well I have more followers than her anyways" or "Too bad no one retweeted or liked your status loser" its actually NOT that I am insecure with how I look, I have a pretty goood self image of myself. Its more like I'm insecure about how other people think of me. Any advice ?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 08:28 PM

try finding some other interest, like reading books( not fiction though with issues like vanity), try some non-team sports, try cooking and start smoking weed so you will realize what is good

Ads

I know this isn't that answer you are looking for but:

Back off from facebook and twitter by occupying your time in service. One of the best ways to be popular and not really mean to be is doing service and extracurricular activities. Service help you forget yourself and start helping others. Just consider it Smile

BTW the reason why I suggest you back off from facebook and twitter is because there have been studies done that the more people use these media outlets the more they become depressed and feel ostracized. This is a study done, not just on youth, but a large demographic. Consider these studies, and back away from facebook and twitter. It just causes depression because people think everyone else is happier, better off, more popular, etc...

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfW8deSls...ata_player

You have to understand that being popular not may seem like a big deal but once HS is over it wont matter what you where in school Matter of face you be at the so called bottom again because there is social groups yes but those things in the real world are for kids.

Value yourself more. Being popular isn't neccesarily everything or even the best thing. That friend of yours has to tone it down a bit, or you shouldn't hang out with her anymore.

Insecurity is a tell-tale sign of a dented image of oneself. Yes, you are insecure. Almost everyone in high school has a bucketload of insecurities. Try to focus on your positive traits, work on the less-great ones and surround yourself with friends who share the same mindset. Giving catty comments on other people's status updates/tweets is childish and not worth your time. If people do the same to you simply ignore it.

Humility is a good thing. A little bit can go a long way. It's good that you have a good self image, but it may be too good. Your high self value is good but it may be affecting your desire to be popular. You think "I should be popular, I deserve to be popular" when really no one deserves to be popular. You shouldn't care about what people think about you. ASKING THIS QUESTION COULD BE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR CONFIDENCE!!! Lol. Be secure in who you are. And if you feel your BFF isnt affecting you positively, leave her. Goood luck.

Maybe you should try to have more accomplishments to be proud of instead of little things like Twitter followers. Like, I had this friend who once got all mad at me for something, and she stopped being my friend, and last I heard she was sleeping around and she dresses like a stripper every day at school and I think, "Wow, I'm so lucky I don't have to do that to feel good about myself."
When I get jealous of people, or when people are trying to get me down, I think in my head of all the things I can do that other people probably can't do, like a back tuck, or sing a really high note, or speak French fluently.
When you can do really cool stuff that you're proud of, then you'll feel better and you won't worry about silly things like that, and if you're popular already, don't worry about it, because your friends all love you to begin with, and you have a ton of them, so be proud of that! <3

Embrace being independent. Who cares if your bff is popular thats not what makes a good person. I dont understand why people like popular people because their stuck up think their better than everybody else have a bad attitude you know why because they have people to feed their egos. Get off your high horse thinking your better than someone because you have more followers than them it doesn't make you better than them.