This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there any charity programs in Canada that supply people with work fear if they can't afford it?
04-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Is there any charity programs in Canada that supply people with work fear if they can't afford it?
Please don't give me any moral objections to talking a handout, I'm trying to get back on my feet & make an honest living.

I'm going roughnecking in the oil rigs in Alberta, I already have the job but I can't afford work gear right now. I've been laid off from my previous job for about 3 months now and I'm not collecting EI. I've been living off my savings but it's all gone to rent & groceries. I'm virtually penny less right now & I need to buy some heavy duty work gear that is going to cost me upwards of a $1000.

Everyone thinks the Company is going to supply my gear but it doesn't work that way.
You have to supply your own gear & they MAY reimburse you for it but it depends on the Company & how long you've worked there.

So for a guy trying to get back on his feet, is there any charity or government programs that supply work fear for people who need it desperately and can't afford it??

Note: I can't get a loan from the bank because my credit is bad, that's one of the reasons I'm heading to the oil patch, so I can service my debt & rebuild my credit.
Work gear*****

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 11:21 PM

HI Andy,

Congratulations on the new job and taking steps to get back on your feet...Smile

There are a number of options you have to help get the gear you need to get back on your feet.

Some examples to help get you started:

1. Charities: Groups like Good Will have programs to help people get a hand up... contacting such groups to see what programs they have available.

2. Local support groups: Groups like the Elks or other community support groups often have programs that can offer some cash to help people get what they need for work.

3. Government: Most of the programs I see from the Canadian government are to help people with disabilities find employment, but contact your government's employment division to see what they have to help.

4. Religion: If you are a member of a church, synagogue or Mosque, many religious organizations have a fairly large amount of charitable funds to help people--including members. See what your local religious group might be able to do to help.

5. Personal fundraising online: Several websites, such as GoFundMe (http://www.gofundme.com/online-fundraising/) can help you raise money... you write up a quick explanation of your situation (similar to what you wrote above), and ask for donations. Then go on Facebook/Twitter or any other social networking you use to ask your friends or family for small donations... ever 5 dollar donation helps.

6. Odd jobs: Doing some odd jobs for people (childcare, cleaning, handyman work, mowing the lawn, or whatever... if you have a craft, like woodworking for example, possibly seeing if anyone would give you a few bucks to make them something... walk dogs... whatever). Every couple of bucks helps...

You may find one of these that can get the full amount... but try all of them... it could be it will be a combination, each one putting in a some of the money, and when combined the full amount is there.

Good luck! Smile

~William

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply