This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why YAHOO ANSWER has changed the layout? Before it was organised better, by categories.?
04-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Why YAHOO ANSWER has changed the layout? Before it was organised better, by categories.?
Long time I didn't use Y. Answers... now I come back and I find the layout changed... or is my page's configuration? On the left there are the "categories" but not subcategories, so the questions are all on a long list.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 09:52 PM

This style is being rolled out over the whole of Yahoo Answers. Apparently some still have the old green version (Canada I believe), but that will change too. Now it seems like you have to click on so many options before finding a category which was easily found before. I don't know of anyone who actually likes the new style. But who are we? Our view doesn't count.

Ads

04-04-2014, 09:59 PM

I am in total agreement with you; it now appears that certain subjects are wiped clean and are not to be spoken about ... censorship at work in high places?
I am in a quandary as to whether to even bother with this shite site anymore.
04-04-2014, 10:08 PM

It was now some months ago it was changed and now you need to the main categories, or All Categories to find the sub categories.
It is just a question of getting used to the changes and navigating your way through them
Many of us now are finding it better
Chetak
04-04-2014, 10:20 PM

The new purple version was created for several reasons:

1. It works better on mobiles than the green

2. It added several new features the users were whining to get. Have you found them?

3. It was created to use newer software just like Facebook, etc

4. Corporate said to redesign to look more like Facebook, etc

5. To remove some glitches, which they did, but new ones were created

Give it 30 days and you will get the hang of it. Many people hated the green version when it started, because it was different. That is the same thing here.

The subcategories are still there, just click on the category and look at the top of the new page. Remember, this works better on mobiles.
04-04-2014, 10:22 PM

I've been using the new format for months, and it is awful. It stands out as the worst website format I have ever used. I use the site on mobile devices and on desktops; same slow loading, same awkward navigation, same bugs and broken features on every device.

The two dissenters at the bottom are the very first I've heard to say they like the new format even a little. I suspect they're Y!A staff in disguise, or perhaps hopeful job applicants. Even they were unable to articulate what they liked about the format, which is understandable being that there's nothing to like.

The Obamacare website was rolled out better and fixed more quickly than the new Yahoo! Answers.
04-04-2014, 10:24 PM

What you mention isn't a change. Previously, we clicked on the Browse Categories tab, selected a category, then selected a subcategory.

Now, we peruse the list at the left, click on More if we want something further down the alphabet, and click on a category. Then, once at that category, we choose a subcategory.

It's still organized the same way; it isn't a change.
04-04-2014, 10:40 PM

thejanith I have just this minute written an question similar to this one above. There is so much missing from this new layout. On the previous one I could click to find my asked questions to see if there were answers, or find questions I had answered. There appears to be no clear directions now to do that. Doubt I will bother to come back unless it is made clearer.
I CAN'T FIND MY QUESTION ABOUT AMAZON, IT'S NOT IN ACTIVITIES WHICH ACCORDING TO THE PROMOTERS OF THIS NEW FANGLED WAY OF DOING THINGS SAY IT SHOULD BE. Grrrr
04-04-2014, 10:45 PM

I agree with you, it was far clearer before but i guess it's all geared towards how it looks rather than user satisfaction. You can still (if you want to) select the catagories but then you have to filter out between english and uk/ireland answers only whereas before you didn't need to do anything which puts you off. I've started to visit less after the update because as a whole i understand the site in general needed an update something worked perfectly fine and should have been left.

Market forces i guess as you only have to look at google's update of youtube/gmail etc to see yahoo are not alone in stuffing up perfectly good systems in the way of so called "progress".