This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to self-publish/advertise?
04-06-2014, 05:44 AM
How to self-publish/advertise?
Hi everyone.

I'm a nearing eighteen year old female and an aspiring author. I have some work I want to share with the world however I don't have a lot of money to get a publisher. How should I advertise to get people to read my work. At first I thought that would be simple but I really don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance. ^_^

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 05:51 AM

try wattpad, get some positive reviews and send various publisher emails, hopefully your endeavour would work.best of luck.

Ads

04-06-2014, 05:59 AM

Real publishers pay YOU not the other way around. A publisher that asks for money upfront is either a scam or a vanity press. The same goes for literary agents.

It's understandable that you have work you want to share withe world but, in the nicest possible way, have you made sure it's ready to share? Have you revised over and over again until it's just about as good as you think it can get? Has it been submitted to impartial readers/critics (not friends/family) and revised again based on feedback? If you want people to read your work you need to give them something worth reading - there's a lot more to that than most people realise.

If you decide to self-publish you still need to go through the above steps otherwise your book will never be noticed among the thousands of other self-published stuff.

Promoting yourself and your book takes a lot of effort. Don't just slap it on Wattpad as the other person said. It is true that some books have been picked up for publishing for their success on Wattpad, but these books achieved millions and millions of reads. That doesn't happen very often.

Set up a website/blog to promote yourself and make sure it gets updated frequently. Get people to do guest-blogs for you and see if you can do guest-blogs on other sites. Try to build up an active social media presence. Host competitions and offer giveaways.