This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slow internet but roomates is fast?
04-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Slow internet but roomates is fast?
Hi. My roomate has a Dell Inspiron 1521 that when I googled seemed to be from 2007. I on the other hand have a newer Sony Vaio. When she is on the internet by herself it runs good for her until I get on. Then it slows down. However, when I am on the internet it always works without pause, whether she is on it or not. Could this be an issue with her laptop being older and not being able to keep up or is there some way that my computer is stealing her speed? If I am stealing her speed is there a way to make us equal so that I don't have an advantage? I really don't want to be an internet hog.
We are both using wireless. Why would mine never have problems when we are both on but hers does. I want to make it even so she doesn't get mad but I don't see that I am doing anything wrong. I'm not downloading stuff. I could be on netflix at the same time she is and mine will run smoothly and hers won't.
Well the modem or router is an NVG 510 by Motorolla. I have uverse. When I got the internet I plugged it in and that was all. I have never done anything in the settings. I don't even know how. I googled this router and it says it does not have QoS so I guess I can't even change how much each device gets. I just want to make sure I'm not being a jerk and hogging all the speed. Thanks for your help.
Ya but she says it works fine when I'm not on so would it really be her toolbars? It seems as though I am doing something to mess it up even though we are both doing the same function as in we are both watching Netflix. So its not like Im using any more than her.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:08 AM

Are you both running on wifi or wired?

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:13 AM

Unless otherwise the settings were changed in your modem (QoS section), then the difference in the systems is what slowing your internet connection.
04-08-2014, 04:23 AM

Depends what you's have on your computers if she has more Toolbars or more Games. Will definitely slow computer down. If she deletes unused tool bars or games and runs something like CC Cleaner Free version to clean up junk files and stuff, then her computer would run faster and better.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
04-08-2014, 04:28 AM

Her laptop wifi speed problem.