This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it morally acceptable to cut off contact with a friend?
04-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Is it morally acceptable to cut off contact with a friend?
I ask because some people might say that it's a rude thing to do, without explaining yourself. But if you're simply tired of a person and are not interested in spending any more time together, is it all right to end contact suddenly and permanently?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:09 AM

Yes. But I would still deposit a vat of menstrual blood on their doorstep.

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:10 AM

there is joe at it again lol.

Anyhow to your question, am well dont tell the friend your explanation just tell them that you have decided that you need to move on to deal with all the other moral things in your life and have just become too busy for them. if you cut off contact friend will become worried about you and go through extreme measures to see if your ok. so it is better to save all parties involved by giving a quick explanation. Morals or all relative. But hmm lets see if you are a free human being why should you be governed by morals. SO in that case based on your morals its ok to do this. However many others will be quick to judge. So lets just you have the freedom to lessen stress from your life to hell with it and do it my friend.
04-08-2014, 04:14 AM

It's not a matter of morality but a sign of the times in which we live that the concept of friendship has changed, cheapened, and has become transitory. Facebook lists "friends" and they are often people we do not see or communicate with daily.

In your case, you must assess how long you've known this person, how frequently you come into contact (real contact, not texts, Facebook or anything electronic), and if you two have anything in common.

It's not unheard of that as you go through stages of intellectual and social development that we "outgrow" certain types of people. There is no reason to regret minimizing contact with people who's goals or personalities no longer mesh with our own.
04-08-2014, 04:18 AM

For me, it depends. I cut off several toxic friends. I already addressed their rude behavior towards me and others and they would just scoff at me or roll their eyes. So I just stopped hanging out with them. Every time we saw each other, I remained nice, and they remained petty.

I didn't want to officially friend dump them because it's a small city and it would be so awkward bumping into them. Plus, I was hoping they would mature like I did, I was a brat too at some point. Some of them did mature. Also, one of them would have hated being told directly, he had low self esteem which caused his competitive and rude behavior toward me. I also turned him down before he came out of the closet. Ugh.. People are so complicated.

If you're cutting lose a friend who is simply boring then that is kind of cruel. I would just minimize contact and remain nice.
04-08-2014, 04:22 AM

For the sake of your former friendship, it wouldn't hurt to be a little tactful. Don't be the one to initiate contact. Have various reasons why you can't get together.

Be"busy", be "tied up with a project", be "making plans to move" – whatever. Just don't manufacture a quarrel, or cut them off at the knees without any explanation if they ask what's wrong.
04-08-2014, 04:30 AM

its your life, do what you want with it, i have friends i wouldnt mind disowning myself
04-08-2014, 04:37 AM

of course it is, but if they ask you why you don't see them anymore, you should tell them you're busy with other things. They are due at least that. No lies, no avoiding them, just tell them, I've been busy with other things. That's only if they confront you, you are not obligated to go tell them you're not interested in a friendship. No need to hurt feelings here.
04-08-2014, 04:46 AM

Well your friend is certainly gonig to wonder what the problem is.

It's probably not the best (or most mature) approach, and some will tell you it's pretty cowardly. Some will tell you you need to talk to your friend and let them know you want to discontinue the friendship. Some will say to just be busy every time they contact you.

Only you can answer this, though. If this friend is someone who's likely to get emotional and clingy when you try and talk to them, I'd just slowly cut ties with them. This is a situation where you use your own judgement.

Like I said, he/she will probably wonder what suddenly went wrong for you to cut all ties with them. If they don't do that, though, it shows how little you meant to them.
04-08-2014, 04:51 AM

Sure it okay. I however, like the chance to be honest and tell them why I am no longer into them or their habits