This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I live in an apartment wants to improve my internet reception?
04-08-2014, 04:04 AM
I live in an apartment wants to improve my internet reception?
my neighbour gave me his code so I could use his internet
I have a 300mbps stick
I get the internet at times and sometimes not
can I buy something to improve this?
looked into getting my own but after they put on connection charges line rental etc I just can't afford it

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:09 AM

First of all, it is really irritating when someone asks the same question multiple times in a very short time. Answerers can waste their time answering one question when someone else has provided an almost identical answer to another version of the same question.

Having said that, and seeing that you say you are in an apartment, I suspect that there may be other networks on the same of adjacent channels to the one you are trying to use. If these other networks are not in use, then your may get a working connection; however, if rival networks are in heavy use then you might not get a workable signal. Co-channel interference may not be affecting your neighbour so he may not be aware of any problem, but your apartment could be closer to the interference so your operation is being adversely affected.

USB wireless adapters can vary in their sensitivity. Recently I swapped a WiFi adapter with a large antenna for a micro USB adapter with no external antenna. The new adapter protrudes only about quarter of an inch from the USB socket, but it picks up far more networks than the old adapter.

Search the Internet for Netstumbler. This program is free, and will show you what networks are on each channel. On the 2.4 GHz signal within 3 channels of the one you are trying to use can cause some interference to 802.11 g & n networks. For 802.11 b networks, interference can come from up to 4 channels away.

If it is an interference problem, you might discuss with your neighbour about choosing a better channel. Some routers can select the channel automatically. The chosen channel can vary from time to time depending upon what traffic is around as the router starts up. Personally, I always fix my router on a specific channel.

I hope this helps.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply