This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is there an outgrowth of media ?
04-08-2014, 04:13 AM
Why is there an outgrowth of media ?
One of the outgrowths of media economics is a large number of mergers in the mass media business. In fact, only six companies own most of the media around the world. Media and social critic Lars Pulete writes, “The media in control by only a few major corporations is like traveling across the US hoping to see unique places along the way, but what you get are homogenized small towns with every shopping mall looking exactly the same. There is only an illusion of choice—and that illusion is being repeated for users of the media.” Do you agree or disagree with Pulete’s assessment and why?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:22 AM

I am not going to do what appears to be an assignment however, her comments are sound.

Consider for a moment you own a car dealership.
The guy across the street owns another and yet another independant car dealership is around the corner owned by yet another.
How's business if all the vehicles operate the same?

Then you buy up the other guy across the street and you exert control and better profit margins. You have more leverage and showroom space that effectively stymies the last dearler from competing.
But you are greedy. You want everything. You want profit, you want loyality to put out whatever it is from the manufacturer regardless of how the package is presented, and lastly you want to crush any dissent of your self, the dealership and your place in the community.

See the connection to the west (namely USA) and how the media works, operates and dishes out what the corporate, bankers and politicians want?

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:31 AM

If you did a little bit of travel yourself you would actually see the same thing. I have and seen it myself. I've been to other countries and they're all the same. You even have the illusion of choice on smaller scales in grocery stores. You'll have the illusion of being able to buy 3 separate products from 3 different manufacturers but the reality is they're all owned by 1 little white haired man who lives in an ivory tower in the Caribbean.