This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using Two Routers and one internet connection?
04-08-2014, 04:17 AM
Using Two Routers and one internet connection?
Hi,
Background:-
I am with sky broadband. They supplied me with their router (Sagemon) when I joined them. It is preloaded with all the details required for logging into the broadband network. I have a NAS drive and media streamers on my home network. Everything was working fine for months. A few weeks ago the media streamers stopped being able to access the NAS drive on the network. I managed to diagnose the problem as being caused by an automatic firmware update made to the Sky router on the 7th Jan.
When I connect my original Asus (DSL N11) router everything works fine. Sky will not release the username and password to allow me to set my Asus modem up to use the Sky broadband so I am stuck using the Sky modem which seems to prevent network traffic between the media streamer and the NAS drive.

Question:-
Can I connect both routers to form two separate networks which share the same internet connection.
The Asus router (default) creates a network on 192.168.1.1 and the sky router (default) creates a network on 192.168.0.1.

I was thinking that if I use the Asus Router to assign IP addresses and control traffic around my home network and also link this to the Sky router to access the internet everything would work. I am not sure how to configure this. If I disable the DHCP on the Asus router then the routers link together on the 192.168.0.1 network and the sky router controls the network traffic and the media streamers are unable to communicate with the NAS drive.

How should I set this up so that the Asus controls the data flow but link it to the 192.168.0.1 network for internet access.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:17 AM

Connect the Asus router as a client to the one from the ISP. Everything internal connects to the Asus and the ISP router is just another hop in the connection.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply