This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will unlimited high speed internet ever be available to rural residents?
04-08-2014, 04:17 AM
Will unlimited high speed internet ever be available to rural residents?
I had unlimited high speed cable internet before I moved to a rural area 6 months ago, and all that's available here is satellite internet. I could go on and on about that but I doubt I need to, if you're reading this you already know how bad it is. I miss being able to watch Netflix & Amazon whenever, streaming my music, etc, etc., and the folks I get my media from must know they are missing out on potential sales that would be made possible by getting high speed and especially UNLIMITED internet out to the rest of us.

I had Air Advantage, an antenna high speed internet service try for a ping here and there are too many trees between my home and their tower. The tech said something interesting: He said AA is working on an antenna that will send & receive regardless of foliage. True?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:21 AM

It's really hard to say what will be offered in a area.In my area which is rural the phone lines now have high speed dsl.It's not real fast but 6 mbps which isn't bad.The company has to be willing to put in relay stations.So if there's a only one house each mile it's not going to happen.When I moved to this area I moved into town and would not look at anything away from town because of the internet.

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:24 AM

Sometime, but maybe not for a long time.
04-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Air Advantage could be working on some solution to deal with foliage. Wireless internet service providers can get pretty creative to deliver their service to customers.

As far as unlimited, yes and no. Satellite will probably never be truly unlimited. There are wireless services with unlimited service, but their service areas are scattered about and can't cover everyone. DSL expansion continues ever so slowly, and is usually unlimited.