This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet router problems?
04-08-2014, 04:19 AM
Internet router problems?
Hello, today i have moved my internet router to the master telephone socket and am now getting better speed however the wireless internet is unstable and i am unable to load web pages and lose internet every now and then. How can i help the wireless signal between he routers new location and my wireless devices? BTW this is happening on more than one wireless device so is most likely the routers position.
Just been happening some more and when I lose internet It still says i have connection to the router on my computer, does this mean its not the location?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:28 AM

What about your modem? reset modem and your router. start clean. If your on a combo unit just try resetting it.

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:36 AM

We'll if your device works well near your router then the router is OK, so what up you need to buy is a AP (access point) which boosts the wireless internet! For example I have my router in a outer building so to get it to my house I have plugged a AP in my kitchen, which then gets boosted around the house!
04-08-2014, 04:43 AM

Moving it from a secondary to a master socket should not affect Internet speed. But if your master has a built in DSL filter it should not work at all on any secondary. But the location of the router is critical, irt should be as high as possible and clear of all obstructions with no large metal or electrical devices between the router and computers. So possibly your house wiring needs attention. Then you should be able to put it back.
04-08-2014, 04:44 AM

if the router has an external antenna just buy a 8, 10 or 12dB gain antenna for a stronger signal , the router's output is limited by federal law, technically you aren't even allowed to operate a router outdoors without a special license
04-08-2014, 04:46 AM

the strength of a wireless signal connection depends on the relative positions of transmitter (router) and receiver (devices)

you have moved the router so you have changed the strength of the connection

The connection is now weaker than it was so you are losing connection now and then

You want to get a better connection
put the router back where it was (or try a different position), or move the devices.

You want to leave them where they are then get powerline adaptors and connect via mains and ethernet. (which will give you a better, faster and more reliable connecition in any case)