This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the cheapest option for home internet?
04-08-2014, 04:19 AM
What is the cheapest option for home internet?
I pay $25/mo for my home internet. I have the DSL "basic" service from AT&T. My internet speed is slow, but it suits me fine. I'm wondering if there are any cheaper options. My zip code is 48193.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:21 AM

I have xfinity it&#x27;s cheap for being high speed internet

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:23 AM

I have a 256K DSL link which costs me $30/month, $15 for my phone company, $15 for my ISP. This is the "basic" service. I COULD get service for $20/month if I bundled with a telephone calling plan that would raise my telephone service charges by more than the $10 difference in the cost of my internet connection. My 256K DSL link is equivalent to a 2mbs cable broadband link with NO other users on the cable. The factor of 8 difference is because DSL uses BYTES while cable broadband uses BITS. The "no other users" thing is critical. Cable broadband is a party line. The ISP access point has a single transmitter so it can "talk" to only one user at a time in a daisy-chain, so if you have 99 other users on the line with you, you get only 1% of the time with your ISP. The rest of the time, you wait for your turn. The end result is you talk in bursts of data. The more users, the longer the time between your data bursts, and the slower your throughput, which is why the cable broadband speeds are theoretical speeds, NOT actual speeds that you can achieve. With DSL you get actual speeds since you do not share the line from your router to the router at your ISP.
04-08-2014, 04:23 AM

DSL is cheap because run on the old copper cables but still can get faster speeds on copper cable or you could get Cable or Fibre Optic it will be more higher in price though.