This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is my CDN not working?
04-08-2014, 04:20 AM
Why is my CDN not working?
I signed up for MaxCDN a few days ago.
The next day, after setting everything up, I found that nothing on my site was loading faster, not for me, not for pingdom, not for loads.in, not for anything.

I contacted MaxCDN live support and they escalated my situation to netDNA, who in turn had to actually log in to my wordpress account to make sure that everything was set up right.

They replied, told me that it all looked good and that it 'could be' my images.

This is an image website for art. All images are resized to 860px width no matter what, unless they come naturally smaller. It's pretty detailed art so I need the size to be large enough.

But I look at other image hosting sites and see that they're images load in seconds.
I thought that a CDN would fix this problem for me?

My site was taking 5+ seconds to load before MaxCDN, and now it's taking just as long if not longer.

I'm uploading my images to my media section (wp-content), then linking them into my articles.

Originally I had my images in a folder elsewhere, which I believe could have been the problem for images not loading fast since I later found out that MaxCDN pulls from wp-content.. yet still after fixing that problem, and reuploading everything I had into wp-content, still nothing... the cdn link is there, rather than the usual wp-content link.. but still no improvement.

Any clue?

Thanks much
http://www.devilonadinosaur.com

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:25 AM

You should have given your URL so others could report load times.

Wordpress sites tend to load more slowly, often the speed of the mysql database server, which may be separate hardware is the culprit. The right caching plugin can make a big difference by reducing the database fetches, there is one that allows the assets to be offloaded to Amazon AWS/Cloud which is cheap relatively fast file hosting.

Do carefully optimize your file sizes, you are using exceptionally large images, Some jpeg compression algorithms are more efficient than others, photoshop's publish for the web function may do better than typical. Remarkably you can often use 33% to 66% compression quality setting with very minor effect on visual quality, but getting files sizes a fraction of high quality settings.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply