This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet connection question?
04-08-2014, 04:24 AM
Internet connection question?
I have "high speed" DSL from Windstream.
I pay for 3 MBps. I download around 200-300KB/s always. Windstream says even if I pay for 3MBps, the area that I'm in dictates how much connection I get and how demanding the area is.

My question is.. Windstream says they are upgrading their stuff and it will allow us to upgrade from 3MBps to 6 or 12MBps for an additional 5$ a month at the end of this month (March 31st)

Can I assume I will get an insanely low DL speed, albeit slightly more if I upgrade to 12MBps?
IE: 200-300 KBps out of 3MBps paid for
How many KBps(Or MBps) out of 12MBps paid for?
I'm sure theres a ratio involved, but I can't come up with it.

Thanks a lot!! Big Grin
Yeah, the "high speed" was supposed to be sarcastic Big Grin

So I can expect ~30% of what I pay for? Even 3MBps out of 12MBps would be a MASSIVE jump over 200KBps.
Oh. Now I feel dumb lol. Thanks Tom and Shadow!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:27 AM

there;s really no such thing as high speed dsl , and that 3mbps you say you have is the advertised maximum you could get - not a guarantee
the only way you ever get that speed is if you test it on a server in your own city at 3 am when nobody else in your area using the same provider is online and the entire network is slow

you can expect to see maybe 50-60% of advertised speeds at most 80% of the time and maybe as little as 35% of that speed .
this is the same with every provider in every city and country on earth
I pay for ( supposedly ) 40mbps broadband and in tests average 15-18mbps , the highest I've seen has been 28 mbps . still pretty good but not the : up to " speeds they always advertise

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:36 AM

You don't get 3MBps, you get 3 Mbps, there is a difference. MB is megabytes, Mb is megabits.

200-300 is what you'd expect for a 3Mb connection, with the upgrade to 12, you should see download speeds of 1-1.3 MBps, bout 4 times faster than what you have, as you'd expect. It's certainly worth the extra $5 a month.
04-08-2014, 04:37 AM

Don't assume, just call them
04-08-2014, 04:46 AM

I think you should call to make sure.