This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How is the browsing experience with the experimental browser in Amazon Kindle Paperwhite?
04-08-2014, 04:26 AM
How is the browsing experience with the experimental browser in Amazon Kindle Paperwhite?
I would like to know about the performance of the product in three different dimensions:

1. How is the internet speed with 3G enabled? (when compared to the 3G speed in smartphones/tablets)
2. Is there any kind of 'ghosting' of words or images while moving from one page to another?
3. If there are any limitations to the experimental browser (apart from being black and white or not being able to access videos), what are those?
@cathugger: 1. Can you tell me how fast is it when you browse through the kindle site or wiki? (when compared to 3G speakk in smarthphone/tablets like I mentioned in my question)

2. This question may come off as a bit of laymanish to you as I have not used kindel yet. When you say you can use wiki via 3G, you can only search something relevant to what you are reading in a page or is there a search box where you can type anything that you want to read in wiki?
@cathugger: Excuse my couple of typos in my additional question. I was so sleepy when i typed it. Anyways, thanks in advance Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:28 AM

1. You cannot use the browser over the free 3G. The free 3G is only for connecting to the Kindle Store (via the menu selection), downloading the Amazon Kindle ebooks, and searching Wikipedia (from within the Search feature of the Kindle). A long time ago, with the early Kindle models, the browser could be used over 3G, but people abused/overused it and now the browser can only be used over WIfi.

2. Not that you would notice. The whole page is refreshed every several pages to prevent that.

3. Limitations of the experimental browser are you cannot use it over 3G. There is no audio (current Kindle eInk readers including Paperwhite have no audio). it will use the simpler mobile sites when available. It has no flash, can do no animation (and the low-power eink display would be too slow for animation anyway).

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:34 AM

awesome