This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did you know that Facebook just purchased Instagram for $1,000,000?
04-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Did you know that Facebook just purchased Instagram for $1,000,000?
https://www.google.com/search?client=ubu...80&bih=698

The future of casual photography now rests with Facebook, a service that has invaded nearly every facet of modern life. The already popular instagram aesthetic will soon define photography for mainstream society.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go lie down.
Oh, wishful thinking.
Yes, keep telling yourself that these multi-billion dollar corporations have no significant influence.
You're kidding yourself.
I post a question mainly to inform those interested in photography about a Internet juggernaut's acquisition of an extremely popular 2 year old photography product-service that's worth more than the Wall-Street Journal and I get labeled as a whiner. Ha.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Oh that is such a load of %$#!. Facebook and instagram are tools to be used, nothing more. Anyone who believes this merger is going to set some new standard for photography, is really naive. Facebook doesn't have any more power over your life than you let it.

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:43 AM

Are you capable of having a positive or even neutral out look on anything?
04-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Doesn't matter to me, I'm not a teenager who posts lame photos on lame websites...
04-08-2014, 04:49 AM

When Nestle took over Rowntree Mackintosh here in the UK, I didn't care a jot!!!... Guess what? Facebook might very well have taken over Instagram - I still don't give a flying f**k!!

When Facebook takes over Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc then perhaps it might grab a nonosecond of my time. Until that day happens, I'll go on through life not caring, or even pretending that I care! As far as I'm concerned, Instagram is to photography what steam navigation is to thermonuclear weapon technology!
04-08-2014, 04:56 AM

Saying that the Instagram aesthetic will soon define photography for mainstream society is like saying that site models will soon define haute couture for mainstream society.
04-08-2014, 05:05 AM

You, and all the answers all have valid points. Instagram or Facecrap are not going to put an end to real photography.... BUT.... they both do have impact, that being it will be that much more of the general population that will be further dumbed down as to what good photography really is. With the advent of the digital camera and phone in the hands of every kid and clueless "photographer" in existence it seems, the barrage of BAD photography on the internet becomes, more and more everyday, what is accepted and seen as normal and good photography. I cringe at all the terrible photography I see on places like Facebook with all the "great shot" comments by equally clueless onlookers. This dumbing down is why there is so much BAD wedding photography today. Young brides have been staring at junk for so many years, that when they see some clown with a DSLR hanging around their neck who can take a marginally better photo than their cell phone, then that gives validation to all the terrible "wedding photographers" in the market today. Instagram is just another goofy piece of tripe that is hardly going to end real photography, but it will cut into it a little deeper than what has already been done. I can't wait to see someone on Facebook or Craigslist wanting a "wedding photographer" to shoot all their wedding on Instagram. It will happen.

steve
04-08-2014, 05:07 AM

Anyone else getting tired of this guy's constant whining about everything please raise your hand.