This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are Memes Copyrighted?
04-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Are Memes Copyrighted?
Does anyone know if Memes are copyrighted It's for a Business project I'm making a meme website and I will need to be able to sell things like mugs and stuff with them on so would that be ok or would I be caught on Copyright?
thanks
I forgot to add it is all types of meme SO the sketch ones and the Picture ones with writing

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:44 AM

Are you really asking? No they are a sketch from some teen on the internet anyone can use them without persecution from the law.

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:52 AM

A meme is not copyrightable subject matter. Copyright does not include any idea, concept, function, process, discovery or principle. 17 USC 102(b).

If you were use a meme to replicate someone else's copyrighted works, that would be a derivative work and thus obviously illegal, unless your use is exempt by statute or you have a license.
04-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Trying to profit from what a lot of irritable teens with hacking skills consider to be public domain? You'll likely be spending more time fending off Anonymous than dealing with licensing.