This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to deal with someone who constantly targets, defames and insults another individual on FaceBook?
04-08-2014, 04:45 AM
How to deal with someone who constantly targets, defames and insults another individual on FaceBook?
The target of these insults is not even on FaceBook but is extremely well known among the friends of FaceBook abuser. This is creating bad-blood in real-life community with potential for serious social consequences.

I am not a FaceBook user but I have seen many seriously disparaging posts and comments which could cause a very serious situation if said in person.

Are there any rules of FaceBook or international cyber-laws that could be used to stop this on-line bullying?
I feel I need to add some clarifications.

I know about the posts because they are spreading like jungle-fire among the people who I, victim and abuser, all three of us know and have social consequences namely defamation. All of us are adults and cannot go to any school administration since we are all adults, not in school and illiterate of most of internet.

Abuser apparently knows nothing about internet but how to use FaceBook. Yes, he is jobless or semi-retired. I have been told he seems to be updating 24/7.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:53 AM

If you rarely use it then you shouldn't be affected by it.

Ads

04-08-2014, 05:00 AM

You don't use Facebook, the person you are claiming is being bullied doesn't use Facebook, yet you know there is a bullying problem? If you don't see it all the time, how do you know this is on-going?

Cyber-bullying is taken very seriously. If you know who this cyber-bully is, the victim needs to go to the local law enforcement with proof, but how can they get proof if they don't use Facebook? If the victim is in school, they need to go to school administrators with the information.
04-08-2014, 05:05 AM

What's scary here is that you claim to be all adults. For adults, you are all acting very childishly, especially the one who is semi-retired and talking trash about another.

You say there are social consequences, but, if someone knows you all, wouldn't they know who the crazy one is? How can they spread lies in a social circle if you and this victim are active in, when the person creating the posts apparently is too busy posting trash to Facebook.

As adults, you need to go to your social circle and tell them what is going on and if they are really your friends, they will stick by you because they will see that the posts are just garbage. Those who don't stick by you, or up for you, are not your friends.

Also, the more attention you give this guy, the more he will keep at it. Honestly, the police will do nothing about it because other than insulting you, there are no real damages. However, if the defamation is causing job loss or other monetary loss, you can talk to an attorney (barrister) to see what you can do about bringing a civil matter against this guy.