This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If I buy a router will my internet be faster?
04-08-2014, 06:30 PM
If I buy a router will my internet be faster?
my internet is ok but I want it to be faster and I'm wondering if I replace the router my dad has with a stronger one will me internet be faster?
theres also this black thing that is connected to the router that i think is called a moden and if i buy a better moden will my internet be faster too? i have like 200 dollars right now and i already bought everything i wnt so i wnt to get myself faster internet now
well how do i know if my dad bought a modern router?
i think the one we have sux and is making the internet speed our provider is giving us a bit slower than it should be

also wont a new router give a better wireless signal because i use my phone a lot and if im upstairs it sometimes lags because my router is downstairs

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Your Internet speed is controlled by your provider, and what speed you are paying for. Changing the router or modem will have no effect. All modern modems and routers will handle virtually any speed, and they pass the speed of your Internet to the PC. So the answer to your question is no.

Edit ------------------------------

A modem is needed to connect to the Internet. A router allows other devices in the home to connect and share the Internet connection. If you have more than one device you have a modem and a router. Some are one unit, modem/router combo, and some are two separate units. Only you know what you have.

Since you didn't tell what you are paying for nor what speeds you are actually getting, I can't comment on that.

Wireless router's radio signal is affected by walls, and the angle the signal hits the wall. All routers have a specific power output. Buying a new router will not change the power output. But newer routers use better transmission encoding techniques and may provide a better signal. But only if your phone can use them. They are designated wireless B, G, and N. If your router only outputs with B or G, and your phone will receive N, then you might, read MIGHT get a better signal.

I might recommend you dig into the characteristics of the modem, router, and all devices that will connect, and then look at your options. Just arbitrarily changing a router may not be the answer.

Ads

04-08-2014, 06:36 PM

You should look at the router, get its maker and model number, then google it to see what type it is, either G, N or AC (very new). You don't say what speed your ISP connection is. Using a wired connection, or a wifi device located close direct line-of-sight to the router, run a speed test at speedtest.net on your computer, or using the Ookla app on your phone. Compare that to what your ISP's claimed data rate is. They should be close.

You sound very young :-)