This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guys I have a question about internet speed? How poor is mine?
04-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Guys I have a question about internet speed? How poor is mine?
I just checked it at Ookla Speedtest and this is the result:
Ping- 28ms, Download Speed- 1.29Mbps, Upload Speed- 0.43Mbps.

I realized that my Ping is faster than normal but my download and upload speed is AWFULLY lagging behind. What does this mean in layman terms?

Which of the three is more important, especially for a person who wants to play online games with less lag and watch online videos with less buffer? Please explain in detail. Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Now this is only my opinion. To watch You Tube videos without buffering
I think you need at least 5.0 Mbps download. For 11 years I ran
5.80 Mbps download. I could watch 99% of You Tube videos @1080p
I upgraded my internet, and now run 21.50 Mbps so obviously I have
no problems. Call your internet provider, and ask if they have a
faster internet plan.

Ads

04-08-2014, 06:33 PM

When playing online games, you need lowest possible ping first. Download and upload is not needed so much, because game only transfers small bits of information over internet and the game needs to do it fast to show movement of you and your enemy correctly.. If game server is overloaded or your ping is for whatever reason bad, you experience lag in game.

But when watching videos, ping is almost meaningless, you need download speed the most. That is because video files are big, because every second contains 30 images and also a sound, and all this has to be downloaded into your computer to display it. So, if your videos are not playing fluently, pause/stop downloading any files when watching to free as much download speed as you can to allow the video to load faster. If you dont download anything and videos are still not fluent, try decreasing video quality. If quality is low already, you ran out of options and you have to wait for video to pre-buffer Undecided

To comment on your upload speed, it is okay relative to download speed. Upload is often less than 1/6 of download speed. That is because when browsing internet, your computer needs to download everything you see, but it needs to upload only smaller bits of information from time to time Smile

I hope this helped! If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me Smile