This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does U.S. court orders seizure of DVDFab domains, funds and facebook account mean to the company?
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM
What does U.S. court orders seizure of DVDFab domains, funds and facebook account mean to the company?
An anonymous reader writes "A New York federal court has granted the seizure of several domain names, bank funds and social media accounts belonging to DVD ripping software company DVDFab. Judge Broderick ruled in favor of AACS, the licensing outfit founder by Warner Bros, Disney, Microsoft, Intel and others." So will DVDfab disappear from the internet from then on due to this suddently incident??

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:39 PM

There will always be DVD ripping software avalable. It's not illegal to rip a DVD you own, so I suspect DVDFab will eventually win any action against it.

Ads

04-08-2014, 06:45 PM

I'm sure DVDFab or something like it will always exist in one form or another. It's not illegal to rip a disc that doesn't have copy protection. It's a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to rip a disc that has any form of copy protection. But it's not like they really care what you do at home for your personal use.

– Dominic
04-08-2014, 06:51 PM

From what I understand, they are not an American company. So instead of dvdfab.com they will probably come back as dvdfab.cn or something, unless enough of their bank accounts were seized that they go under.

By the way, it's ridiculous that DVD ripping software is illegal in this country. There are legitimate uses for such software, like making backups or ripping clips covered under fair use.