This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it ok to be peeved if your friends use photos you upload on Facebook without crediting you for taking them?
04-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Is it ok to be peeved if your friends use photos you upload on Facebook without crediting you for taking them?
I've been getting into event photography and some still-life and fashion/modeling photography lately. It's becoming a really passionate hobby of mine. So I tend to shoot event photos for friends a few times a year. (Art shows, dance classes, etc.) And over the past year and a half, I've uploaded well over 1,000 of these sorts of photos to Facebook, to share them with my friends/family and the people in the photos.

I'm perfectly fine with people sharing my photos, and I've told people that as long as I am credited for taking the original photos, I'm find with friends downloading my photos, doing their own edits/effects/filtering and re-uploading them on their own pages. (I actually kinda like it when friends do this, as it's fun and shows that they enjoy my work and want to collaborate) But as long as I get at least some credit for taking the original photos.

My problem has been lately, a few friends of mine have been downloading my photos, and re-uploading them WITHOUT crediting me for taking the original photos. And I find it rather annoying, because they have been getting really positive/rave comments and likes for work I did, and getting compliments for the "beautiful photos" they took, even though they didn't take them. And at least one person has been openly taking credit for photos I took that they were in. And I will admit, I've been getting kind of peeved about it, because it's happening more and more. Considering this is such an artistic passion for me, I just don't like that other people are so blatantly taking credit for things I do, especially as I am working to establish myself in the local art community.

Is it right that I feel sort-of mad about this? Or should I expect this to happen when I shoot photos for people?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:45 PM

You could watermark them with your name.

Ads

04-08-2014, 06:49 PM

Hell, you can sue them for that. No one should have to expect that their original work is stolen from them. Easiest way to deal with it would be to put a watermark on all future photos. Most watermarks go in the bottom-right corner, but the problem with this is that they can just crop that part out.

The alternative is to put the watermark right in the middle of the photo, which would stop them cropping it out, but would look quite bad.

If you want to deal with the photos that people have already uploaded, you can report them to Facebook saying that the person has infringed your copyright. There should be a report link somewhere on the image viewer. It's sometimes in the Options menu.

Personally, if I was doing the watermark in the middle of the photo, I'd put some really snarky comment along with that photo, something like "I didn't want to watermark these photos, but some people who I THOUGHT were friends were claiming them as their own, so I didn't have a choice".
That's just me though, I get a kick out of trying to make copyright infringers feel as bad as they possibly can.