This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is facebook and social networking making people superficial?
04-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Is facebook and social networking making people superficial?
Recently I've noticed that people have become very caught up in their image. Many post intimate photos and status updates of a personal nature. With the exception of a few close friends, I don't really want to know how much fun you had on your vacation in Europe, how cute your new baby is, or how big your wedding was. Stop trying to impress people and fix your privacy settings man.

Also, it seems word "friend" is cheapened at this point, or may not be an appropriate term for facebook to have adopted. Seriously, what's up with those people that have 1,000 friends? I've met thousands of people in my life, but I wouldn't consider most of them friends.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:42 PM

No, myspace did it.

Ads

04-08-2014, 06:49 PM

facebook is very superficial.
it is now a place where people can harass other people.
where the popular show off what they have. and where the kids flaunt there goods. it's all about who's the best looking. facebook leads to formspring which is just a network to harass other people. people will base popularity on who has the most friends, the most likes, the most comments and the most wall posts. my whole facebook is private. mostly because facebook is very stalkish. i even have friends that stalk me. no real friends just people that know me from school or work. it can get very creepy. although i have 1300+ friends i may know 3/4 of them, it's getting to be a sad online world. but most of us are a part of it.
04-08-2014, 06:53 PM

A lot of people post updates. thats just the way it works. to let people know whats up with you. also some people have thousands of "friends" simply to brag about how many they have. others do it to make new friends.

seriously though... was there a need to rant about it on yahoo answers?

thanks for the 2 points....

really...

quit being so negative..
04-08-2014, 06:54 PM

I'm not going to disagree, you've got some great points here. Look at the HP motto "The Computer is 'Personal' again" Advertising our personal thoughts and artistic expression is 'creative', but when it's chronicled and databased for the world to see, Big Brother is rifling through your personal lives.

"Fix your Privacy settings man" - You neglect to see the irony in the Privacy setting itself.

About the friend word - point well taken. I think honestly, people realize that friendship means more than stupid avatars and baby pictures. Only problem is this trend is being marketed and promoted like its the best thing since the hula-hoop.

Almost like friends have to be in the digital universe now, and talking to someone in person has become completely taboo. Face to face no-nos.

We'll just have to wait and see how many average people become completely exploited by this technology. Facebook is a pill that's being wilfully swallowed now, just wait until it becomes mainstream and mandatory.