This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HP laptop won't read burned CD-R's?
04-08-2014, 06:39 PM
HP laptop won't read burned CD-R's?
I've had my laptop for three years now, and all of a sudden any CD-R that has stuff burned onto it is read as a a blank cd. I put in a regular cd i bought at the store and it read and played it fine. Then i put in a CD-R that I've ripped before and it too was read as blank (exact same format as other CD-R's that won't work now). I tried uninstalling and re-installing the CD/DVD ROM in the device manager but that didn't work either. I hope it's not broken..help me please and thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:43 PM

Microsoft actually has an automated FIX IT tool for this particular problem. Information on what the automated fix covers can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740811. You will need to be using a genuine copy of Windows for this fix to run, and as always, be careful to only download and run content that you trust from the internet.

Since other media seems to work (regular CD/DVD and videos) in your CD rom player, it is not likely that it is a hardware problem; but, it is most likely that it is a software issue. It could be that a new update to your operating system, or a driver conflict is causing the error.

If you try the fix from Microsoft, and it is still giving you issues, you can take your computer to an authorized service provider and have them take a look at it. Let us know if this fix worked for you and good luck!

Agent Kate B
Badge 30870
Covert Quality Assurance Agent | Geek Squad Online Support
Geek Squad Social Media Team
01/07/2014

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply