This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to set up this business idea.. need advice?
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
How to set up this business idea.. need advice?
I went to college and studied fashion and was going to do fashion management and marketing at uni but decided it wasn't for me..
i want to set up a business selling swimwear, accessories and jewellery but dont know how or where to start, im 20 and live in the uk near london. i have designed some swimwear pieces but would like to work with other people, and how do i get people to make them? also i'm interested in cultural inspired jewellery like african and indian. i know what i want its just getting there. i mainly wanna start off with the swimwear and get into marketing and stuff. how shall i start? should i set up like a blog and twitter/facebook. would i send my designs somewhere or work with someone? as im not like a major illustrator i could put my ideas with someone else. also could i start off selling other swimwear?

any advice please?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Go and get some practical retail experience. It will give you contacts and a chance to see at first hand how tough the fashion business is.

If you have the talent and determination, you can make it - but do the groundwork first to maximise your chances of success.

Ads

Hello. I love to see people wanting to start their own business as it shows determination and courage. The business sector you are going into is huge and there is a lot of competition. I would suggest starting a website+Facebook page on your business. Try and find a friend who would be willing to help you make them. I have a lot more advice on starting a business if you would like to know more, feel free at add me and I will give you all the advice I can Smile Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Write a Business Plan
- Merchandise Your Product
- Edit your line for Presentation
- Exhibit at Trade Shows
- Find a Sales Rep
- Ship and Distribute
- Fill out order forms and cost sheets
- Contact Buyers
- Write a Press Release
- Sell your Product Online

If you do go ahead with your idea (and good luck to you) and you decide to start your own business, don't forget that you have to register your business with the Revenue and start paying National Insurance. Don't worry though - its not as scary as it sounds. Just click on Starting A Business on the homepage for more information. You will find it under the heading Business And Corporations.
The Business Link website has a lot of useful information for businesses starting-up. Just click on Starting Up on the left-hand menu on the homepage.
You may like to consider a bookkeeper if you are not keen on doing the accounts for the business. A bookkeeper is often more cost-effective than using a firm of accountants - especially for new small businesses.