This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I link my webpage to my newly bought domain name on 123reg?
04-08-2014, 07:07 PM
How do I link my webpage to my newly bought domain name on 123reg?
I'm a technophobe and have no idea how to do it. I have my original webpage which had a long domain name. Someone suggested I buy a better one which i now have but no idea how to 'link them up'!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:12 PM

go to ur Domain control pannel, select name server options, and put ur name server similiar to ns1.randomspace.com.

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:17 PM

ok this is how the first domain name is hosted where? you have to log in to where your first domain is hosted and go to a redirect tab you then insert the new domain in the redirect field if this is too tech for you contact me via my email below
04-08-2014, 07:20 PM

In order to make your website, with your domain, accessible via the internet, you need to arrange hosting.

123-reg do offer this service although personally I do not rate their service.

I highly recommend Bluehost (http://www.bluehost.com). I use them myself and their service is outstanding and they provide great instructions as well as support, if you get stuck. It will cost you as little $4.95 a month for hosting.

If you have any further questions let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.
04-08-2014, 07:22 PM

First. change the nameservers of your domain name to be pointing to your web host. Login to your domain registrar, then find your domain name and change its nameservers details in accordance to what your web host specify. It may take up to 48 hours before the domain nam will completely propagate.

In your control panel of your hosting account, add your domain via the 'Add Domain' section. Upload your files to its respective directory.
04-08-2014, 07:27 PM

There are two parts to the answer unless you are going to do a simple redirect (which won't get your domain to show up in the address bar):
1. let your host service know that you want to point this new domain at your website (should be just a case of letting them know the domain name) - they need to know this so that they can adjust their nameservers to 'point' your traffic at where your website lives on their server.
2. Change the DNS settings with your domain reg service (123reg) in one of two ways - change the 'A' record to the IP address of your host server, or use the nameserver settings from your host server. There are pro's and con's with these choices, mostly depending on whether you are using email addresses from this domain - you can read more on the link below: