This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you agree with this weight rule?
04-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Do you agree with this weight rule?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamwi_method

For women start out at 100 lbs. And For every inch past 5 ft add 5 lbs. So she would be 130 lbs at 5'6.

If that's what's healthy for a woman. Why are most celebrities and play boy models skinnier than that. For example they would be 5'6 115 lbs instead of the 130 lbs which doctors consider ideal. Do men want women to be skinnier than the medical ideal?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM

yes>> sounds ABOUT RIGHT. Cameras add pounds..

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:16 PM

ask in diet and fitness. this is gender studies.
04-08-2014, 07:21 PM

This method leaves out people under 5 feet tall. 100 pounds is too heavy for a person that is, say, 4 feet tall.
04-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Men tend to like regular weight women, extensive studies have shown, that when given a choice, most men(almost 80%) choose regular sized, and shaped women as sexier, and pretier.

Fashion-models, Playboy(not necessarily other erotic-magazines, but Playboy is ran by women mostly), and Hollywood actresses tend to get casted by other women though, and women prefer skinny women(women that are too light, with poor musculature).

So it's the weird distortion in society, Women, promote overly-skinny women as sexy, where if you take Male-run events(car-shows, cheerleaders) you get women with a much more regular BMI.
04-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Depends. According to that I should be 135 pounds but I did weigh that at one point and I looked like I was pregnant because of my big belly; I was unhealthy and ate junk food all the time. But some people look just fine like that.
04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

It depends on how muscular she is. If a woman is really muscular, she'll need to weight more than that to be healthy.

I'm 5'3" and I think 115 lbs would be an ideal weight for myself because I'm mostly a couch potato, but if I did a lot more exercise and had more muscle mass, this wouldn't be enough. It's more about your body fat percentage than any thing else...
04-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Health and fitness are about more than numbers on the scale. Any method -Hamwi, BMI, etc. -that only looks at height & weight is missing a big part of the picture. For one thing, muscle weighs more than fat, so two people of the same sex, height, and weight can be at very different fitness levels; BMI often tells very muscular athletes that they are obese. (Another problem with BMI is that it doesn't account for sex, and females are *supposed* to have a higher body fat percentage than males.)
Also, celeb culture and media obsession with thinness do not necessarily correlate to 'what men want'; while it is based in large part on 'the male gaze', that is more of a perceived social force than any real person or group of people.

But yes -it is quite common for celebs to be underweight, and to be pushed to make themselves underweight. Like -when Kim Kardashian was pregnant, she was being criticized a lot for weight gain, being called a whale, etc., even though she was freaking pregnant; the horrible reactions to pretty much any woman celeb when she gains weight, like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson post-baby; the sheer number of celebrities who end up painfully thin and spark rumours of anorexia; etc., etc.
04-08-2014, 07:49 PM

SURE. I GUESS