This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keyword research high or low competition?
04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Keyword research high or low competition?
I have been searching for this answer and all the results come up with people who want to buy ads in adwords that point back to their site.

I just want to make a microniche site with good content and SEO and place adsense on it and wait for people to click. That part is easy for me.

The thing I am confused about is keyword research.

I understand that if I wanted to spend money in adwords to have ads that point back to my site it would be best to choose low competition exact match phrases/keywords to save myself the money. Understood.

But I don't want to do that. I don't plan on paying for anything other than the domain and hosting.

Is high or low competition keywords best when trying to only rank in the serps?

Should I search for keywords with low pr sites in the serps top 10 because they are easier to compete with in the serps?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Since you're not using PPC, high competition keywords might be best, but let me explain.

You are concerned about your position in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). But you should instead be concerned with sales and ROI (Return On Investment). You easily could be #1 ion the first page of Google search results and still make no sales.

Consider this: What does it mean when there are a lot of competitors for a search term? Maybe the term is too broad and so is not very relevant to your offer. Or maybe it means there is a lot of money to be made in the niche served by the keyword, since many marketers are working there. Likewise, a keyword with very low competition might well mean there is little money in that niche.

So you need to do niche market research to decide if your offer may compete well - by researching your competition in that busy niche. If you really understand your UVP (Unique Value Proposition) you will be able to tell how likely you are to succeed against competition.

Other keyword ideas:
1. Look for keywords that indicate "buyer intent", to get more likely buyers and fewer people just looking for free info and such.
2. Add a word to very competitive keywords to make them longer ("long tail keys"), more relevant to buyers and with fewer competitors.

Hope this helps....
_jim coe

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:28 PM

With all of the Google algorithm changes, updates, new pages indexed, spam prevention, and everything else that the search engines are doing, it's totally impossible to predict how a keyword will rank based on SEO.

It's a losing battle.

You cannot count on rankings, plain and simple.

Getting keywords ranked should be considered a bonus in todays search engine.

If there is one thing you should remember (based on what you are doing) it would be this: Social signals, link sharing, authority site contextual links and likeable content are the things that are strengthening new rankings.

So focus on what your audience wants First and rankings Will follow.

Because your focus is more on adsense and not adwords, my advice to you as far as keyword selection is simply to focus on the “High Volume” low competition keywords - (all of those single-phrase or double-phrase terms that get the most searches).

Adsense, SEO and keyword research is a huge topic and most often, the information you find online on these subjects is just wrong in so many ways.

If you really want to get the best information around today on adsense, then imho, you should really dig into this:

http://www.adsensemasterscourse.com/index.html

Note: This is NOT an affiliate link. I'm not getting anything from this, I just think it's a great course.

Hope this helps.
04-08-2014, 07:30 PM

google trends is good one
04-08-2014, 07:36 PM

From amazon
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&ta...ive=390957