This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it appropriate to ask your old elementary school teacher to add you on Facebook?
04-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Is it appropriate to ask your old elementary school teacher to add you on Facebook?
So I was bored a couple of nights ago and decided to go looking for my old elementary school teachers on Facebook.

I noticed that a bunch of them just had the ''Message'' button and not the ''Add Friend'' button. I messaged them reminding them of who I am, along with the fact that I am a 2006 graduate.

Two replied to me so far, so we've been messaging a little.

One actually had the ''Add Friend'' button on his page, so I added him too. Weird because he's been messaging me but never responded to my friend request.

The other, as I mentioned, does not have ''Add Friend'' on her page.

Is it good etiquette to ask your old elementary school teacher to add you on Facebook, even POLITELY?
Should I cancel my friend request with the first teacher?
I am particularly concerned about the second teacher because she hasn't bothered to request me yet.
I'm 19 and a college freshmen now.
Honestly?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:26 PM

if they dont mind, it depends on the teacher

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:31 PM

Teachers love finding out where "their kids" are and how they're doing. Facebook is awesome for that. But they also like having their privacy, and reserving their social media pages for their peers, families, and associates. For that matter, I like my teachers to have some privacy too. Do you really want to find out your second-grade idol is now a picture-posting midwife or bar-hopping with college guys or something? O.o

You did nothing wrong; a Facebook private message is the equivalent of an email, and they're treating it as such. It's your call as to whether you withdraw your friend request or not; just be aware they probably won't add you, and it's absolutely nothing personal. Smile
04-08-2014, 07:36 PM

If I were a teacher and one of my students tried to befriend me on facebook I'd avoid them like the plague.