This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you have to have an ISP to have Wi-Fi?
04-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Do you have to have an ISP to have Wi-Fi?
I'm thinking about getting my cable+internet+phone bundle terminated because I'm tired of paying the high bill, and I don't watch that much tv anyway. Will my cell phone still be able to connect to the internet through my Wi-Fi or do I need the internet for my Wi-Fi to function?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

You will need the internet for your Wi-Fi to function.

IF you're using 3g connection however, you won't.

tl;dr
You need You Wi-fi for your phone.

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:41 PM

wifi works independently of the internet... so technically you don't need an ISP but you will not be able to connect to any webpages just the limited resources you have on your network
04-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Yes, Wi-Fi and internet is provided by your ISP (hence "Internet Service Provider"). About your phone, if it can connect to a functional Wi-Fi access point, it can access the internet, simple as that (if it cant connect to one you can use your mobile data)
04-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Your isp gives your wifi (rounter) its connection to the internet, so you will NOT be able to access the internet if you stop paying your isp for access. While WiFi is awesome, it is indeed not magical.
04-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Look into getting a hot spot from a cell phone provider. That's the only way to get wifi without having a ISP provider.
04-08-2014, 08:00 PM

You can use the Wi-Fi on your phone as an Internet connection, but you need to make sure that you have a really good data plan. If you're limited to data usage, you'll be paying high costs if you go over.

You can also get Internet connections from public hotspots and you wouldn't need an ISP for that. The only drawback is that the free Wi-Fi isn't secure, so I would suggest you use a good proxy service so when you do use public hotspots, your connection is encrypted (see article below).

Also, have you thought of getting rid of your bundle and just keeping your Internet from your carrier? Check out what plans they have before you get rid of it all.
04-08-2014, 08:09 PM

You could look for WI-FI sometime that cheaper hope that helps.