This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet Connection Problem?
04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Internet Connection Problem?
So recently my internet has been acting up a lot and my wireless connection will not work and it tells me "Limited Access" on my laptop but when I connect it with an Ethernet cable directly to the modem it does work and I have access to the internet is there something I have to do or?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Try resetting your modem/hub.

Check your IP stack and the various setting for a wireless set up.

Pretty vague, huh?

How far are you from the hub? The building you are in can attenuate the signal if you are getting the signal through walls. You may need to reset the hub once in a while for maximum signal strength. Some modems experience line resets from the ISP head end. Check with your ISP to see if you are experiencing resets. Some modems when they begin to fail can cause resets also. If you address the modem (192.01.168.01) you might be able to use the internal diagnostics and read the several tables to see if you can find any anomalies. Try the MS FIX IT site to check your IP set up. RUN ipconfig.

Ipconfig

Displays all current TCP/IP network configuration values and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS) settings. Used without parameters, ipconfig displays the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway for all adapters.

Syntax

ipconfig [/all] [/renew [Adapter]] [/release [Adapter]] [/flushdns] [/displaydns] [/registerdns] [/showclassid Adapter] [/setclassid Adapter [ClassID]]

Parameters

/all : Displays the full TCP/IP configuration for all adapters. Without this parameter, ipconfig displays only the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway values for each adapter. Adapters can represent physical interfaces, such as installed network adapters, or logical interfaces, such as dial-up connections.

/renew [Adapter] : Renews DHCP configuration for all adapters (if an adapter is not specified) or for a specific adapter if the Adapter parameter is included. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically. To specify an adapter name, type the adapter name that appears when you use ipconfig without parameters.

/release [Adapter] : Sends a DHCPRELEASE message to the DHCP server to release the current DHCP configuration and discard the IP address configuration for either all adapters (if an adapter is not specified) or for a specific adapter if the Adapter parameter is included. This parameter disables TCP/IP for adapters configured to obtain an IP address automatically. To specify an adapter name, type the adapter name that appears when you use ipconfig without parameters.

/flushdns : Flushes and resets the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as any other entries that have been added dynamically.

/displaydns : Displays the contents of the DNS client resolver cache, which includes both entries preloaded from the local Hosts file and any recently obtained resource records for name queries resolved by the computer. The DNS Client service uses this information to resolve frequently queried names quickly, before querying its configured DNS servers.

/registerdns : Initiates manual dynamic registration for the DNS names and IP addresses that are configured at a computer. You can use this parameter to troubleshoot a failed DNS name registration or resolve a dynamic update problem between a client and the DNS server without rebooting the client computer. The DNS settings in the advanced properties of the TCP/IP protocol determine which names are registered in DNS.

/showclassid Adapter : Displays the DHCP class ID for a specified adapter. To see the DHCP class ID for all adapters, use the asterisk (*) wildcard character in place of Adapter. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

/setclassid Adapter [ClassID] : Configures the DHCP class ID for a specified adapter. To set the DHCP class ID for all adapters, use the asterisk (*) wildcard character in place of Adapter. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically. If a DHCP class ID is not specified, the current class ID is removed.

/?: Displays help at the command prompt.

If you are using a Microsoft Operating System try doing a search using: http://technet.microsoft.com

Well that's a start...

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:48 PM

I doubt that you are going to get this solved here - we are only allowed one post.

But let's give it a go ......

Check in Device Manager
Start > type in ....devmgmt.msc ....ENTER
Click the > next to Network Adapters.
Your WiFi Adapter should be shown there.
If it has a yellow exclamation mark against it then there is a problem with the WiFi Adapter or the drivers.

You could try a WiFi USB Adapter.
Google this for options - they are cheap.

Try right click on the WiFi icon bottom right of screen > Repair ( could be Troubleshoot )

Try taking the power lead off the router - leave for 30 seconds - re-connect.
This will re-boot the router.

Try from an Elevated Command Prompt ...assumes Vista / Win7
Start > type in ....cmd ...right click on cmd.exe that appears top left of screen > Run as Administrator
At the prompt type .... ipconfig /flushdns......ENTER
You will get a message confirming.

If none of the above helps you really need assistance from a site that allows multiple posts.
Try ...Google ...free pc help ... the website at the top of the list should be able to assist you further.