This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you view the wifi's history?
04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Can you view the wifi's history?
I just upgraded to At&t U-Verse. It came with a modem with wifi built in. I was wondering if say i go to a website on my phone but connected to that wifi, if i log into At&t i can view the history of mobile devices connected to that wifi. If so is there a way to make it untraceable?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:49 PM

No you can't. Do not connect anything to the wifi and see what happens? No activity, because nothing is talking to the modem. Suddenly you connect a device and there's activity in the log. The only thing you can do is spoof your device's name. Say like instead of having your device 'Joaquim's Ipod' appear on the log, you can change it to something else.

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Yeah, it is called wiresniffing. http://www.wireshark.org/ free download. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS unless you are using it for security measures!!!

To get around it: you can mask your MAC address and IP address... But it is a little sketchy.

Both are tricks used by hackers. Neither is illegal, just shady. And you should probably be familiar with some unix programming if you want to try it out.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MAC...s_Spoofing

I don't condone this, just telling you the truth!
04-08-2014, 07:57 PM

It depends on what you mean by untraceable.
The userlogs at ATT will have all of your account history regardless of what you do at your end.
So the ISP and anyone in a law enforcement agency that requests or subpoenas that information will have it.

But if you merely want users on your network from being able to see a device; then you can do a few things.
1 log into the router and delete its log file.
2 use an ip address spoofing utility like anonymizer, so its harder to associate an ip address with a mac addrss on a device.
3 run a virtual machine like vmware or ms virtual machine so that there is an abstraction layer between the physical machine mac and the virtual machine mac running on it.
4 use a proxy website to access the website of your choosing.
doing these kinds of things on a smartphone usually rquires special apps and sometimes requires the phone to be jailbroken. Some of these may be found at sourceforge.
Then the log shows access to the proxy website, rather than to the website you visit via the proxy.
These are great ways to reduce spam, but should not be considered tools to enable questionable activity.
They simply make a trail harder to follow not impossible.
Being invisible on the internet takes both a fair amount of skill and money.
Thats why people doing illegal things like sending spam emails use illegal programs to hijack other peoples computers. This makes most of the illegal activity occur in other peoples computers.