This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I tell my extreme & overly anxious mom i'm pregnant?
04-08-2014, 07:50 PM
How do I tell my extreme & overly anxious mom i'm pregnant?
Im 27, happily married, good job, nice home, AND 9 WEEKS PREGNANT =) I havnt even had my first ultrasound yet. My husband is very excited and he wants to tell the world. I am simply not ready nor do I want the attention. I compromised with him & let him tell his parents and his close friends w/ the acception that no one posts anthing to social media or tells my fam. The reason why im not ready to tell my fam specifically my mom is 1. Im only 9 wks. 2. My Mom, although I know she'll be thrilled she has always had severe anxiety problems & worries herself sick & constantly dreads the absolute worst (this is due to her graves disease) her anxiety & exrtremely intense behavior has always put extra unwanted stress on me. 3. My SIL has had 4 miscarriages. This was due to a disease. We accepted nature and knew a miscarriage was out of our control & just the inevitable because of her disease. Except for my mother, she took it all very very hard. She was very intense like "whoa, get a grip!!" Just picture Shirley MacLaine in "Terms of Endearment". My father and the rest of my family were fine. They know they can handle this type of thing. Im actually dying to tell my father & my GM but Im afraid they'd feel compelled to tell my mom. I had the idea of calling her on April Fools Day b/c i thought that would be a fun light hearted way to break it to her but at that point ill still only be 10 wks. Too soon? What is a good way to break it to my mom and when?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:53 PM

I&#x27;d say to wait until the first trimester has ended. Not only does the chance of miscarriage decrease enormously, but by then you should have had your first ultrasound and any blood tests for genetic or chromosomal disorders. That way you have some reassuring news of the health of your baby to help ease her mind and fears. If she stresses beyond that, maybe allow her to come to ssome appointments or another ultrasound to ask your obgyn any questions and concerns she might have. Smile Congrats by the way!

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Would wait to tell her til after the ultrasound. If her stress causes you stress then you want to avoid that. There is usually a reason for a miscarriage, either you or the baby was not healthy, but some people are just prone to them.
04-08-2014, 08:03 PM

Just tell her. It sounds like she&#x27;s going to freak out no matter what. That&#x27;s not your problem.