This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are my options for home internet access? I can't bear the rate increases anymore.?
04-08-2014, 07:52 PM
What are my options for home internet access? I can't bear the rate increases anymore.?
During the past couple of years, my monthly internet bill has ballooned from $39.95 to $59.95. That's more than a 50% increase!
The increases have been particularly dramatic during the past 6 months, where my charges went from $44.95 to $59.95 a month in 3 back-to-back rate hikes.
Being a dedicated Mustachican, this is very distressing news to me. I am aggressively seeking to reduce my costs, not increase them!

Is there a cheaper way for me to get broadband internet?

I live in Brooklyn, NY (Bensonhurst), and I don't think my internet service provider (Optimum) has any competition in my area, so they're free to screw me at will (I don't think Verizon Fios is available in my neighborhood yet).
Not only that, but I fear that frequent rate increases will become a lot more common in the future. It's not inconceivable that my bill will skyrocket to $100/mo. in just a couple of years.

There has to be a cheaper way to get home internet access, even if it means some compromise.

Are there any reliable high-speed wireless service providers in my area?

What about WiFi for the home? Is this free, or do you still have to pay an ISP monthly? Is it reliable, or will weak signal strength be disruptive to my online experience?

Is there an equivalent to Magic Jack for internet access?

FYI: I currently use a desktop computer, which is connected to the internet with a cable.
I only have internet (no phone, internet & cable bundle).

I've always had Optimum Online since I first got home access back in 2005, so I am totally unaware of the alternatives.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Here is a website that will tell you what is avalable in your area and reviews of the providers. http://www.dslreports.com/search

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply