This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wifi Super Slow!?
04-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Wifi Super Slow!?
Hey so I have a Gaming PC and a Xbox 360. I love making youtube videos but here's the problem, I can't! My Wifi to my PC and Xbox is so slow, I can barely play online games... I was wondering if anyone knew how to speed up wifi connection for Gaming? Currently I run wifi connections off a 2 Wire Bell Router. (It's an older one).

I've went on the Bell Canada website to see what our subscription was and it looked fine, but on games on my PC I run speeds of 150-600 ms and on my Xbox 360 I am always "one barring". But as soon as it passes like 11:00 pm it runs very well. Any suggestions? Please Help!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Unfortunatly it sounds like the router is your bottle neck. I would avoid Wifi on an old router and rock wired if possible. If not I would upgrade that router.

Other options are to purchase a wifi extender to better the signal in the room with your machines or to cut down on background connected processes.

Cheers and Good Luck

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:14 PM

It sounds like you are on an over-subscribed section of their network. Not much you can do there.

If your wireless is slow (and not wired - but you could try plugging in your XBox or PC with a wired connection) then try changing channels. There are really only 3 channels you should use, 1, 6, and 11
Try different channels on your router.

Also try plugging directly from your 'modem' into your PC or XBox, and see if that helps. If it does, your router might need to be replaced. Don't stay plugged in for long, as you have no firewall protection between you and the 'outside'.

Sometimes the latency is bad and there is just not much you can do without changing providers.
04-08-2014, 08:19 PM

You really haven't supplied enough information for anyone to correctly troubleshoot your issue. You have not included your connection speed, or the model number for your router--you've given basically zero usable information.

As it stands, the issue could be one of three things:

Your Internet--if your connection speed is too slow, then obviously you're going to be limited.

Your router--if it's too old and carries with it an old 802.11 standard, such as 802.11b or a, then you might want to consider upgrading.

Your router, again--if you do have a more recent router which is 802.11g or n, then you need to ensure that NAT (network address translation) is enabled for gaming. You'll have horrendous issues on your Xbox if it's disabled.