This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Web Hosting Questions.?
04-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Web Hosting Questions.?
Hi, im going to be taking some web designing classes, and i have iWeb on my mac. I would love to know if webs.com is good and do i need a computer running full time for the website to be up? So the basic questions are:
1. Is webs.com good? If not, what are some good free web hosters that work with iWeb?
2. Do I need a computer running full time, 24-7, for the website to be up and running?
3. Can i get viruses and such from hackers?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:13 PM

webs.com seems OK, been around for 7 years, the whole idea of a hosting service is that they provide the computer, you only need to connect to make content changes and check traffic stats.

To be cost effective low cost and free hosting uses shared servers, there typically are hundreds of sites on a single computer, this can be a performance and reliability factor. I don't believe site hacking is terribly pervasive, realistically your site will be too small a target to bother hacking.

A dedicated home server may have security advantages, but it's more likely some shady activity is going on with a home server.

The first step up in site quality may be a custom domain name you effectively own for about $12 a year many free hosts allow them.

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:16 PM

1. My choice is Hostgator.
2. Websites are held on servers of your host company and not on your own computer. You crate static websites on your own computer and then upload to your host using a FTP program such as Filezilla.
Wordpress blogs are created live on your host so that's is why it is essential you install a backup plugin for Wordpress before doing anything else.
3. Yes, your website can be hacked and taken over so ensure your login details are kept confidential. Viruses are usually something you get from emails you open on your computer and that is why you should have an anti-virus program installed on your computer.
04-08-2014, 08:25 PM

Hey Jonathan

Do you want the Cheapest Web Hosting? Unlimited Bandwidth, Unlimted Domains, Free Website Builder, Unlimited Disk Space.

Only around $3 per month

Just checkit out :

http://tinyurl.com/a4bonzp
04-08-2014, 08:31 PM

No. Your computer need not be running for the website to be up. Because once you upload the website content to the hosting server it will be stored there and when some one views your site it will pull up the data from the hosting server and not from your PC.
So store your credentials safe and offline.
You may try free web hosting for 6 months which normally costs $27 per year. Check the link below
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Check out our website basics at

http://computergeeks2go.com/101guides/ca...cs-series/

Any free hosting company comes with limitations, you will find restrictions and ads on your page. I would recommend an affordable hosting plan. Ours start at less than $5 month. If you have any questions please let us know.

http://www.computergeeks2go.com/hosting.shtml